Where does this fuel sender wire go?

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sumofunk
What year is your cabby?: 1982
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Where does this fuel sender wire go?

Post by sumofunk »

Mmmmmm! It's been a dream of mine and I'm finally restoring an old rabbit! It's a 1982 with an 84 cabby gasser engine. I'm new to everything with this process and cars in general, and it's been a blast so far.

I've stripped all of the interior and I'm currently in the process of removing the wiring to get the frame ready for rust repair and some new paint. I've traced the fuel sender wire to the back of the car, just where the rear seats would be, but there's another wire traveling to the side- inside of the car body. It's rather awkward to access and I'm not sure what purpose the wire serves but it's hooked up to something in there... Wondering if anyone is familiar with this wire and how to access it / re-install it?
I've unplugged the fuel sender and pulled it back through the grommet/hole, but this wire splits off at the same point and runs somewhere around the tank / fuel sender plugin area(?)

Didn't have much luck figuring out what this wire is with my Bently manual. Pretty much only found the fuel sender wire diagram with no indication of what this other split off wiring is.

I'll throw up a photo later if it helps explain what I'm getting at. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
sumofunk

Re: Where does this fuel sender wire go?

Post by sumofunk »

Oh man, I think I spoke a little too soon. I figured where the wire is running and it looks like a ground to something under the car. Removing and re-installing should be interesting... :D

Cheers!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Post by Briano1234 »

sumofunk wrote:Oh man, I think I spoke a little too soon. I figured where the wire is running and it looks like a ground to something under the car. Removing and re-installing should be interesting... :D

Cheers!
Depending on the vin of the 84, 84 and older 1 fuel pump. 84.5 two.
If the wire is brown, then it is ground.
They ran ground to the Tail lights, and fuel pump, and the sending unit.... as it was isolated.

Color of the wire would be good to know as well as how many wires on the sending unit?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sumofunk

Post by sumofunk »

Yeah, I was a little excited and found the fuel pump tucked away and buried under a bunch of gunk that needed cleaning under the car. Green wire to positive, brown wire to ground.