Lousy Graduation Gift

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Lousy Graduation Gift

Post by boschbabe »

Daughty will be home by the 19th. I'm leaving tomorrow to go get her and her sister. I've been driving her car to test it and it has developed numerous issues including: Oil pressure at 50% of what it should be, no gas or temp gauge and the tach is a few hundred RPMs lower than it was. Some of the stuff might be related. She has big plans for this car and it is not ready.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Lousy Graduation Gift

Post by Briano1234 »

Tach, water and fuel is the voltage stabilizer being flaky, had that issue myself.
www.mouser.com .71 cents each and like 5 bucks to ship so order 5 or 6....
GAP, Autohausaz and even ebay are like 7-40 bucks each.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fai ... Y9c8I8A%3d

Oil pressure is dependant on the vis of the oil switch to a WIX or NapaGold filter and 20w50.
Also the sender could be bad.

@2000rpm, oil at 80degrees the pressure should be 1.5 bars.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Does the Mouser unit require soldering? Also my oil pressure is so low that the blinky light won't go off until it reaches 2000 RPM. It was around 1200. When I get back I will change over to 20/50 and maybe throw a little STP in there. I might even try a cooler thermostat. I don't want to pull a non-leaky oil pan. I might have an oil gauge to screw in the head to get a non-electric reading.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Does the Mouser unit require soldering?

No, it is held in by a screw, and slides into the connection on the back of the cluster.

You will need to bend the legs of the new part. (be Gentle)

The 20w50 and a Napa Gold filter is a good thing, Pureolator Gold are good too...
and Mechanically knowing the pressure is a good thing to do too.

If you have a Fry's electronics or Radio Shack they may have those discrete components. (lm7810)

Also my oil pressure is so low that the blinky light won't go off until it reaches 2000 RPM. It was around 1200. When I get back I will change over to 20/50 and maybe throw a little STP in there. I might even try a cooler thermostat. I don't want to pull a non-leaky oil pan. I might have an oil gauge to screw in the head to get a non-electric reading.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Does STP or any additive that provide a film do any harm to these motors? Once I put a can in my old VW bus and a couple valves stuck open.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Does STP or any additive that provide a film do any harm to these motors? Once I put a can in my old VW bus and a couple valves stuck open.
No, I have run Lucas in mine for years...
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I hooked a gauge to it today. It held decent pressure but continued to creep down after the engine was fully warmed. I need to drive it around but was blocked in by several cars. I don't understand why the factory pressure gauge is pegged when unhooked, even with key off.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:I hooked a gauge to it today. It held decent pressure but continued to creep down after the engine was fully warmed. I need to drive it around but was blocked in by several cars. I don't understand why the factory pressure gauge is pegged when unhooked, even with key off.
Bad sending unit, faulty gauge.
Oil pressure will go down as the engine warms up, as it thins and looses viscosity.

And I should be mad as you jinxed me. My Dizzy died, the Chinese replacement that came in was wrong, so I had to use my spare.....
I have been topless for over 3 weeks, and was having withdrawals....
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

The link to the nice $42 billet unit I got is on this site somewhere. It's working so far. I know that the oil gets thinner as the engine heats up but I thought it would stabilize about the same time as the coolant but it keeps getting hotter. It peaks around 100 degrees C after about 20 minutes of running. I plan to change to 20/50 tomorrow and leave some room for an additive if necessary. Can you tell me why the oil pressure gauge defaults to the right when unhooked even with key off? There must be voltage going to it.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:The link to the nice $42 billet unit I got is on this site somewhere. It's working so far. I know that the oil gets thinner as the engine heats up but I thought it would stabilize about the same time as the coolant but it keeps getting hotter. It peaks around 100 degrees C after about 20 minutes of running. I plan to change to 20/50 tomorrow and leave some room for an additive if necessary. Can you tell me why the oil pressure gauge defaults to the right when unhooked even with key off? There must be voltage going to it.
That is usually a sign that the gauge it bad, or that the sender (the can on the side of the head) is shorted. I think it could also be that the wires ont he sender can are backwards.
You can disconnect the wires on the can, then key on to see if the gauge returns to normal.

Here is how it should be connected, yours could be ass backwards:
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I unhooked the battery and it went to the left but later it was back over to the right again! My son says some gauges are that way. Is there anywhere I can get a new can? Should I scrounge some from a junkyard? Does it have to be a digi?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Is there anywhere I can get a new can?
I think Kim Kardashian may be able to help you :)

The Oil pressure senders are universal. 84-93.
Pricey new JY cheaper.
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I changed to Castrol 20/50 and drove around with the mechanical gauge taped to the windshield. It has 100 PSI at idle but falls quickly. It held 30 at 2 grand for a while but the temp keeps climbing, peaking at 110 C. Pressure stabilizes around 20 PSI at 2 grand. Not happy with it but I guess it won't seize. I might throw some film additive in it. Thanks for the advice and pics.