What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

1990-93 intermittant window movement with door opening

Post by Briano1234 »

My Passenger side window started acting up as in rolling down with no Key,
no switch movement, and only occasionally opening the drivers door would the
window move down some.

I was resolved to fix it.

The controller is on the passenger side under the knee bar.

Remove the passenger side vent, and duct (you can see what you are doing and get your arm in there.
Remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the unit to the frame.

Now you have the controller down disconnect the wires.
The brown and black have clips that you push in, and are Keyed (can't get them in wrong)
The large white one is a mother, and considerable wiggling and pulling (it isn't a lock connector)

To open the case you have to use 3 flat blade screw drivers to get the box off the circuit board.
Pry and push a bit to release the 3 catches, then on the edge pry up. This will release it a git on either end, then you go and
insert a screw driver on the other side to release the catch and pry up, it will pop out.

The back side, see the surface mounted components.

The front side:

They are all single throw relays.
The components I couldn't find listed in Mouser but they are:

Main IC
Intel 5396 201650 dsd9201V5 (1977)

The next IC is TI 321CA
Crystal Phillips 3.0mhz 019079208

1 c875 Transistor
2 c517 Transistor

1 Toshiba descrete 7900s

3 22Mic 25V electrolytic caps
1 1Mic 63V electrolytic cap

1 heat sinked descrete BD438

There are a bunch of surface mount diodes and caps on the bottom

I went over my controller with a fine tooth comb and didn't see any water or cold soldered joints.

So I decided that we needed to see a truth table for the relays.
I reconnected the power and switches and got this:

I buttoned it back up and I added one more thing. A WATER SHIELD. to make sure that the controller don't get wet.
I took the vinyl outer wrapper off a DVD case, and Poked 2 holes in it.

Here it is all mounted up notice that I made a channel for the water to run off and away from the unit.

Now back to my original issue I decided to cut the little Brown/White wire back off the connector, and tape off both ends.

Here is the cool part about this mod.

Do you occasionally turn off your car and open the doors only to remember that you didn't roll up the windows?
Well this little brown/white wire is the door open ground from the driver door. So now for a few minutes you can roll up or down your windows with the drivers door open or closed.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
EyeSpencer
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: 1990-93 intermittant window movement with door opening

Post by EyeSpencer »

Hey there Briano! I know this thread is a little older, but I am hoping I can still get some help here.
ISSUE: 1991 Cabby, power windows. All was fine until one day I had the windows about halfway down, tried to roll them down more with the obvious DOWN button, but that made them go up! I hesitated a bit as my world seemed upside down for the moment. After troubleshooting and shaking my head, both windows were all the way up.

Clicking UP or DOWN on the switches does nothing. HOWEVER, I do hear a clicking noise. (on all 4 directions* drivers side + passenger's side, up + down)
The clicking noise gives me hope that there is power getting to the switches, but I am lost.

I have checked fuses and they are all accounted for. Been researching and finding common issues with the Switches, Relays, grounds, etc.

N00b here, trying to get his beloved Cabby and her windows back in working order (on my own, without taking it to a shop)

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 1990-93 intermittant window movement with door opening

Post by Briano1234 »

Doors are closed.
Are your rain tray drains clear? That will allow water to back up and spill over the heater plenum lip right on top of the
Window controller. When they get wet, they tend to stop working.
You can take the Controller out and see if it has been wet as corrosion can keep things from working..
You can see which relays aren't working.. with the truth table.

Everything you always wanted to know about these guys is here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2126843
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: