Dead Cluster Jump

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Dead Cluster Jump

Post by boschbabe »

Daughter is nagging me about her intermittently dead cluster ('93 auto). I bypassed the alt exciter circuit so it is driveable but she wants it all working all the time! Briano mentioned that a wire can be jumped to the voltage stabilizer to bypass the broken mylar. Could (H)e please point out which terminal on the stabilizer to solder the wire to? Otherwise I'll have to get a used cluster. Which years fit?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Dead Cluster Jump

Post by Briano1234 »

First do the mylar (electrical tape) bump.
Second using a multimeter measure for battery voltage at pin 14 black to pin 2 brown. Now measure from pin 14 to a good frame ground, any difference?
If there is a .05V difference then good. If there is a more than .05 then you have a possible ground issue and I suggest that you splice in a new ground to pin 2 (brown),

Now if you have battery voltage at pin14 black, then check the voltage stabilizer.

Pin 1 is 10V
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 is 12V

You would solder a disconnectible (place a insulated male/female spad connector in the middle to facilitate future dash removal) wire from Pin 14 Black of the main connector to Pin 3 of the Voltage Stabilizer.

If you aren't really quick, you will melt your mylar... Now they make a conductive glue where you could glue the wire...you will find it in those defroster repair kits sold at your favorite parts place.

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Could I hook the jump to the ign side of my exciter/batt light bypass? It comes from the unfused rear defroster terminal on the fusebox.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Could I hook the jump to the ign side of my exciter/batt light bypass? It comes from the unfused rear defroster terminal on the fusebox.
If you have 12v at the wire side of the main connector use that. I don't know if that would be a drain on the battery....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I finally got around to doing the jump wire. Daughter is away at school and car is sitting. I used some stuff called "conductive wire glue" from Radio Shack. Kind of runny. I was worried it might make some undesirable connections but it worked! I have charging plus all gauges and warning lights. Thank you Brian!