1991 cabriolet gauge cluster

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

chrism1241975
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

1991 cabriolet gauge cluster

Post by chrism1241975 »

I have a 91 cabriolet and the main gauge cluster lights are not working to include the voltage, oil pressure, and oil temp on the center console I have a Bentley to follow but can't get anywhere with it we did have an after market stereo installed but from whtat i can see they didn't cut into any harrness all caution lights on the console work so there is power there thanks for any help
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: 1991 cabriolet gauge cluster

Post by CalAltaDubber »

OK. Just to make sure I understand your post, none of your instrument lights are working.

I assume the intensity dial (above the light switch) does nothing.

I have seen this before. Two possable faults are the fuse (I will have to look up which one) or the light switch.

The switch has several diffrent inputs and outputs, and bad or corroded contacts inside it will cause the fault you describe. It is a sealed item so it can only be replaced.

First check the fuse, if it is good, then change the switch.

Hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The Instrument lights, as well as the heater, and triple gauge set are all powered from the Headlight switch.
Now in the 1990, VW fingered finally to fuse the circuit.
Since all the bulbs are out, then check f20.
If that fuse is good, then it is probably your headlight switch or possibly a burnt grey/blue wire, which is the color of the instrument lights power wire.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
chrism1241975

Post by chrism1241975 »

Checked the fuse it was blown but this is the second time I have chenged this fuse in the last couple of weeks so will try again
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

chrism1241975 wrote:Checked the fuse it was blown but this is the second time I have chenged this fuse in the last couple of weeks so will try again
If the fuse keeps blowing, you have an electrical issue in that circuit.

Keep us informed, and we should be able to help you solve it before it gets serious.

In the meantime, do you have the wiring diagrams for your car?
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

chrism1241975 wrote:I have a 91 cabriolet and the main gauge cluster lights are not working to include the voltage, oil pressure, and oil temp on the center console I have a Bentley to follow but can't get anywhere with it we did have an after market stereo installed but from what I can see they didn't cut into any harness all caution lights on the console work so there is power there thanks for any help
If it wasn't happening before the install that is where I would be looking, as if they have the thing installed and pinching the grey/blue wire...
So does the radio have issues when the fuse is blown?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
chrism1241975

Post by chrism1241975 »

All but the center console gauges worked last night even the shift console light that I rewired worked have been trying to get that to work since I bought the car had the center console out to do that so might of put the wires back on wrong yes I do have a copy of the Bentley and is there a replacement bulb that you can buy at a chain store for the gauges the volt and oil gauges
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

chrism1241975 wrote:All but the center console gauges worked last night even the shift console light that I rewired worked have been trying to get that to work since I bought the car had the center console out to do that so might of put the wires back on wrong yes I do have a copy of the Bentley and is there a replacement bulb that you can buy at a chain store for the gauges the volt and oil gauges
On Line yes, locally I have never found one as the bulb and socket are usually assembled together.
I have replaced all mine with regular warning lamps out of a Instrument cluster, that is a the small blue holders and separate bulbs. I I used bell wire and soldered them all in parallel then placed them in the gauge and affixed it with foil duct tape....
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Since the centre console lights are not working, and you said you have had to replace the fuse a couple of times, I suggest you inspect the gray wires with a blue stripe that connect to the console instruments.

I suspect somewhere along the wire the insulation has been cut or worn away by a piece of metal.. This would explain the blowing fuses.

It is also possible the conductor of the wire has broken (probably at the same spot), that would explain why all three centre console lights don't work.

Check the wire as far into the bundle as you can. When you do find the bad spot, simply cut the bad section of wire out and use a crimp splice to repair the wire.

Hope this helps.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote: When you do find the bad spot, simply cut the bad section of wire out and use a crimp splice to repair the wire.

Hope this helps.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO heat shrink and solder.....
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote: When you do find the bad spot, simply cut the bad section of wire out and use a crimp splice to repair the wire.

Hope this helps.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO heat shrink and solder.....
Except Brian, lots of people take that to mean twist the wires together and wrap with electrical tape.

Using the proper size crimp and a proper crimping tool (not a standard set of pliers) provides a strong safe splice.

The problem with heat shrink is, most people don't have a heat gun,so they use a lighter to shrink the tubing and either don't get the tubing to shrink evenly around the wire so it is loose, or damage the wire by melting the insulator. Not to mention poor soldering issues like. Cold solder joints, fractured solder joints, and pregnant solder joints (where way too much solder is used). My experience is most folks do not know how to solder properly and tend to really screw things up.
It's easier for them to crimp wires properly.
In the end either method done properly works, but both can be easily screwed up.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I solder everything. Fuel hoses, Brake lines, Belts.....
I think the last time I used my crimpers were to make a set of top cables. :) and I have the nice ones that are the parallel ratcheting kind, as well as Super Champs. But after 16 years my butane soldering iron is still going.... And I know what you mean, as I have seen some hack solder jobs done by "Professionals" to be honest a Western Union connection and Scotch tape would of been better.
Briano