81 cabby cold start grounds

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

81 cabby cold start grounds

Post by roadtech »

Ok the cold start grounds and test ports have been fixed. the electrical connection for the cold start and the aux air reg are no where to be found. I have a piece of harness with both connectors but can find a spot where they were removed on my car, any suggestions where to look.
Attachments
the vacuum butcher, will need the idle air solenoids (know where I can get a couple) to fix the vacuum mess
the vacuum butcher, will need the idle air solenoids (know where I can get a couple) to fix the vacuum mess
here is the harness I have. not sure where to splice it in?
here is the harness I have. not sure where to splice it in?
grounds and test port installed not sure what the connector with the 2 white wires is comes from under the manifold near the o2 sensor.
grounds and test port installed not sure what the connector with the 2 white wires is comes from under the manifold near the o2 sensor.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: 81 cabby cold start grounds

Post by kamzcab86 »

:shock: What on earth did the previous owner do to your car?! Wow... :screwy:

First, your car only ever had one idle boost valve, and it was specifically for the A/C system:

That black plug just hanging out should go to that missing idle boost valve (white one). Although, those wire colors are a tad odd, so it's possible it goes to the AAR (don't recall what that connector looks like).

As you can see from that diagram, your vacuum hoses are all screwed up. So, when you go back to the junkyard, grab all that you can, including the entire brake booster line, from the intake manifold to the booster (be careful with it; those plastic ports behind the white check valve are fragile these days and break easily). That "L" hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake manifold should have a reducer inside. If you're putting the boost valve back in for the A/C, you'll have a straight hose off the valve cover connected to a T-fitting -- I'm not sure what those cars had for a reducer, either the reducer was built into the hose, or it uses the same reduction T-fitting the 1.8L engines use.

As for reconnecting the AAR (aux air regulator) and CSV, I'll have to consult my other manual in case wire colors changed over the years, which isn't handy right now... stay tuned.
roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: 81 cabby cold start grounds

Post by roadtech »

Thank you a great diagram for vac routing. I am not sure if I want to leave the AC. I have a few more pictures see notes on the pictures. I found where the aux air and cold start were cut from the harness, buried under the heater hoses, should be a fun place to try and splice. I saw something about a control relay for them, is that on the fuse panel or located some where else? Maybe I can route from that

I see a large hose that comes from the charcoal canister (see picture ) is cut???

I found a solenoid on the firewall, see picture. What is it?
Attachments
solenoid I found on firewall ???
solenoid I found on firewall ???
large tube from charcoal canister
large tube from charcoal canister
cut harness for cold start and aux air
cut harness for cold start and aux air