81 cabby relay qnd fuse panel

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

81 cabby relay qnd fuse panel

Post by roadtech »

I am now at the point where I attack this relay panel. It doesn't look like the fuel pump relay fix was done, some wires have been jumped. I have pictures can someone tell what the jumper is and which relays are which? what else will you need to help.
The red and yellow connector are jointed by a single wire
The red and yellow connector are jointed by a single wire
IMG_0016.JPG
not sure what the top relays are, I think the relay with the red fuse is the fuel pump ???
not sure what the top relays are, I think the relay with the red fuse is the fuel pump ???
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: 81 cabby relay qnd fuse panel

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Yes the relay with the red fuse is the fuel pump relay.

http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm

OK here is the first resource.

there are some pictures there to help.

It appears from your picture that the fuel relay recall was not done on your car. There are pictures in the link that show the compleated recall modification.

The mod is appearently a plug and play thing. but Kamy does provide the part number. It's possable that VW might still have them available.

As for your obsevation of the red and yellow wires spliced together, we will need more information. The problem here is that with a 32 year old car, you never know what some "hacker" has done to the wiring. So it is necessary to try to figure out where those wires are supposed to go and repair them accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

I tried to use wiring diagrams to tell what the first 2 relays are (one with fuse and the other with the grill on top) but I can't find the wire color combination. The resource you mentioned I have been using. If someone can take a picture of the back side of their panel and know which relay is which, I can compare wire color, this would also help with identifying the jumper wire. The dark wire red connector is from the white connector, the red/blk stripe is from the first relay (171 906 361) and the red/yellow goes to a 3 wire junction.

the diagrams you referenced state the relays could be in any location
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The one with the speaker is the door chime. Kammy has the relay part numbers and what they are used for on www.cabby-info.com
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

roadtech wrote:It doesn't look like the fuel pump relay fix was done
It has not been... one of few I've ever seen. What a lazy first owner that car had! :x

Also, replace that A/C fuse, post haste. That's a scary site seeing a copper jumper wire there to bridge the blown fuse... which lost its plastic coating too! :shock:
CalAltaDubber wrote:The mod is appearently a plug and play thing. but Kamy does provide the part number. It's possable that VW might still have them available.
A search reveals NLA. Plenty of the old Cabs are getting scrapped these days :( , so used harnesses are out there.
roadtech wrote:If someone can take a picture of the back side of their panel and know which relay is which, I can compare wire color, this would also help with identifying the jumper wire. The dark wire red connector is from the white connector, the red/blk stripe is from the first relay (171 906 361) and the red/yellow goes to a 3 wire junction.

the diagrams you referenced state the relays could be in any location
First, in order to determine the what-where-why of those PO splices/jumps, you're going to have to trace those wires to see where they end up. If we know where they go, we'll be more apt to help determine why the PO did such a crazy thing. However, you said one of those splices goes to the "first" relay, which is the fuel injection power supply relay... so the PO was messing with the fuel injection and Lambda systems for some odd reason. :screwy: The red/yellow wire is supposed to go from the relay to the frequency valve and from there, via blue/brown wire, to the Jetronic control unit. The red/black wire is supposed to go from that relay to the relay panel (pin unknown; I don't have a pin-out for those panels, despite a few people over the years telling me they'd draw one up!), and internally connects to the fuel pump relay. So, it's possible that a PO decided to do his/her own recall fix... but that's merely a guess. If the panel's backside is labelled, look for pin A8 and/or a green/black wire or purple/black wire and see if it's been pulled/replaced.

Since I'm feeling generous tonight :beer: :
Attachments
81panel.jpg
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

I have replaced the fuse, thanks. I have a different question I pulled a dash panel from an 82, the 82 had a single wire with a 1 inch long connector. the connector goes to the connection next to the speedometer. see picture. The 81 has the same connector but nothing was connected to it. can anyone tell me what the connection is for?
Attachments
the connection is the lower left of the speed odometer housing
the connection is the lower left of the speed odometer housing
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Probably the speed sensor for the cruise control but usually there is a blue and white wire in the connector.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

The wire was blue and white thanks, there should be no problem with me using the panel? I had to swap the spedo cable the 81 is screw on the 82 is quick connect.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I know the connector you mention, It is in both my '87 and '88. Problem is I've never had to trouble shoot there.

The only Blue/White wire I see in my wiring diagram (I don't have one for MY 82 so this is just an educated guess) is for hi beam indicator.

I will have to do some more checking.

I can check it out, but not till my two cars are out of winter hibernation in about three weeks or so.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image