Those pesky power windows.

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

CR500Rider
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Those pesky power windows.

Post by CR500Rider »

I reckon it's time to make the passenger window go up. I have a strong 12 volts at the motor connector inside the door and it flips polarity as it should using the up/down switch. Is there any way to get this window up with a dead motor? Also, which other models used the same power window motor? Thanks for the help in advance!
1990 VW Cabriolet, 1.8L automatic.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Those pesky power windows.

Post by CalAltaDubber »

From what you say so far, I agree that the problem is in the regulator.

First, is the regulator grounded? Is there a ground wire from the regulator to the body? Generally the doors themselves do not provide a good ground, so there should be a wire from the regulator to chassis ground (probably brown in colour). If that wire is broken, the regulator won't work.

Check this first, I'd hate to see you spend a small fortune in cash and your time to change out the regulator only to have it not work.

If the ground wire is good, than the motor in the regulator is probably dead.

Some Jettas of that period had power windows, so I would think they used similar regulators.

I don't have power windows on either of my cabbys, so I am only making an educated guess.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

No the Jetta one won't work.
If the Drivers side goes up and down.
And the voltage at the motor goes plus and negative then the motor is very suspect.
The Ground to the motor could be bad...

The motors, and regulators for the cab are "special" The motors may inter change
155959801 window regulator motor left

155959802 window regulator motor right

1990-93 Cabriolets.... I know that the passant and Jetta use the same controller for those years, but the regulator is different. The motor may work but dissasembly would be needed.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CR500Rider

Post by CR500Rider »

As far as I can tell, there is no separate ground for the motor. It just the two wires that lead to the plug. I moved the wires going to the motor while working the switch. Plenty of clicking from the controller, 12 volts at the connector, no go. :banghead:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Put a meter on the motor connector, if you see neg 12, and pos 12 when you press the switch then the motor is bad, if you don't see the voltage change when you place the switch up or down, then it is the controller or the switch. you might try changing the switch.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
CR500Rider

Post by CR500Rider »

Briano1234 wrote:Put a meter on the motor connector, if you see neg 12, and pos 12 when you press the switch then the motor is bad, if you don't see the voltage change when you place the switch up or down, then it is the controller or the switch. you might try changing the switch.
That was the first thing I did! I have a good 12.6 volts.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Take the dam thing out, and take the motor apart and clean it... it is probably stuck.....
See if the motor will work with no weight attached..... just keep your fingers out of the mechanism as it moves really quick and a lopped off finger can result.
Briano

CR500Rider

Post by CR500Rider »

In taking the damn motor off I realized I could raise the window, tighten the motor back down and the window would stay up. Winter problem solved until a new motor is bought in the spring. Perfect!