Dim headlights

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sturgis-2003
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Dim headlights

Post by sturgis-2003 »

I have seen on other headlight posts about using a relay. What type of relay?I just put some H4s on my 1980 Convertible Rabbit and the voltmeter tanks. Any suggestions before having the charging system checked and possible expensive consequences? Thanks, Bob
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Dim headlights

Post by Briano1234 »

The charging system Tanks because it was a silly assed way to measure output.

The relays are the standard ones that you use for FOG light, you will need 2 or 3 depending on how you want to wire them..
The how to is also here..

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1986&p=18819&hilit ... hts#p18816

Well that is the way I did it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

The stock headlight wiring uses paltry 16 gauge wires, uses the headlight switch as a power source, and contains lengthy wire runs, all of which cause resistance and, ultimately, voltage drop at the headlights thereby reducing each lamp's luminosity. Adding relays powers the headlights directly from the battery/alternator, will reduce voltage drop in the electrical system, will extend the life of the alternator, headlight switch and ignition switch, will increase the light output giving you whiter & brighter light, and will reduce the chances of the headlight switch overheating. Swapping to H4s will put an even greater strain on this crappy system. Add relays... don't question it, just do it. :mrgreen:

My car:

Another DIY guide: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Relayin ... lights.pdf . You can also buy the plug-n-play whole kit from http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... neOrdering .

:beer:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Or you could just chuck in a set of HID's, blind the shit outta everyone coming at you and use far less power to do it. :P

I really don't recommend you do what I said since you really will blind everyone coming at you, which is not a good thing. After driving with HID's now for the last year, it might be very interesting to go back to H4's in the rocco or bunny this spring while I have the A6 down for various stuff.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I put relays on my '89, and it made such a big difference I never got around to buying the H4s. ;)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force