Motor Mounts? HD vs Poly???

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

ya Brian is a pretty cool guy.. crafty old man huh?? Old in a young kinda way Briano.. just messin with ya!

How you feeling? everything getting a little easier? it is for me! :D
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

Brian, I live just down the street (I-85 and GA20) from you and we are both about the same age and we both have white Cabbys. I know your health is giving you a hassle right now but we should get together. Hey, shovel dog... I never heard that before. I lived in the South most of my life but that got me tickled. I was at Pull A Parts this morning and I know I was within minutes of your house. I didn't find anything but I enjoyed the 30 something degree morning anyhow. I had to put bricks in my pocket to keep the wind from carrying me away. I went to see Calimus yesterday and I had my Cabby opened up, climbing one of those steap hills that had a passing lane (on GA 20). There was a lot of slow movers so I was getting ahead. The exaust broke right at the resonator. The pipe fell down to the front sway bar and made a vibration that would loosen your false teeth. I just had to put a new rubber hanger on the front section of pipe and I am going to have a muffler shop throw a tack on it tomorrow.
Hey, I hope you are feelin' better real soon.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Damn that is too funny, I just got back from the pull-a-parts...look what I scored

I mean I was at pepboys getting shoes for the bunny ten minutes ago....

I was wearing the tan cap and green hooded sweatshirt with white stripes.

lol tooooo funny, my son was wearing a Grey hooded sweatshirty......

My Center vents decided to quit working so I had to go look for the servos, fortunatly for me the exterior fresh air servo is the same......

Also there was a rain gutter in there I almost took with me... only cracked in two places......

TOOOOOO CO-incidental.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

you weren't pushing a wheelbarrow with a pipe/muffler on it..? lol

And the best part is that the servos didn't cost me a dime....they gave me 100 bucks worth of free parts....lolololololololllllllll
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I told the wife that the fresh air , and walking would do me good, and that I didn't have to lift a thing,,,,,,my son did it all.....besides getting away from all the estrogen i my house does me and my son wonders... what with 1 Wife, 1 23, 21,19, and a niece 19 staying with us........

GEEEEEEEE ain't it sweet.....

NOT
Briano

bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

Briano,
I know we are getting off the original topic but after talking with you on the phone I threw the busted resonator / reverberator away. It must have been cracked around the weld for some time and there was no way a muffler shop would weld it. The guts were sliding out and the whole end was rotten. I put a straight pipe in its place and the car is just as quite as the day it was built. The engine runs smooth and there is no more volume like before. It actually is much quieter because the exaust was leaking out the front of the busted resonator. I guess it took some hard driving to finish it off. If it wasn't for the sway bar the exhaust would have fallen out in the road. I was probably running 90 when it came loose. I probably would still be pulling foam rubber out of my butt if the exhaust fell off at that kind of speed. Thanks for the 411
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Well I went with the Heavy Duty mount from PartsforVWs.com.
Here are some pics of the existing mount and the new mount. I would say that I was correct in changing it out. Do you agree?

My "true front" engine mount. Notice the buldging rubber from the left side. This will definately need to be replaced. Hey check out the cool slogan on the drive shaft!!! LOL!!! "WE KEEP YOU ROLLING" :lol:

Needless to say, the front mount change eliminated a lot of shake rattle and roll.

Jim
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Good job. Now if ya want to have some real fun, come down here and to all the mounts on my 16v rocco. :P

Actually it won't be hard as I'm gonna drop the engine and tranny all the way out for some well needed cleaning and maint.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

That may not be a bulging mount. Some of these came from the factory with thin round pieces of rubber on each side of the mount. I'm not really sure why, but they have no obvious value. I left them out when I did my mount. Stick a screwdriver down in there and see if it just pulls away. The real test is how much movement does it allow?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

holy crap, that front mount was toast!!!!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

LOL! Tell me about Lowcab. I noticed it when I chaged my waterpump. I was like :shock:
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

sixsracing wrote:That may not be a bulging mount. Some of these came from the factory with thin round pieces of rubber on each side of the mount. I'm not really sure why, but they have no obvious value. I left them out when I did my mount. Stick a screwdriver down in there and see if it just pulls away. The real test is how much movement does it allow?
You know on second look, it does look like a rubber shim. Ill have to see.
Thanks 6.
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Calimus wrote:Good job. Now if ya want to have some real fun, come down here and to all the mounts on my 16v rocco. :P

Actually it won't be hard as I'm gonna drop the engine and tranny all the way out for some well needed cleaning and maint.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think I'll pass. :)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

They placed a 1/4 wide rubber washer on both sides of the mount originally to keep goo and crap from piling up in the mount. So if you are missing yours then that is because some one previously left them off...as they would really make it more difficult to put back on NOT.....

I have been tinkering with the idea of sawing the mount on the bottom, for ease of replacement, I can see where the engine would fall out.. and using a hose clamp to pull it back together. Or better yet, welding two tabs to bolt through it..... just a wild ass thought but it does make me go hmmmmmmmmmm
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I'm not even going to go that far. I just buy the whole mount & bracket together from TT. Hell with pressing that fat boy in there. Oh yea, you guy's don't have to deal with the monster 16v mount. Well, some of you will sooner or later.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C