Need help on transplant of a 16v

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kda339
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Need help on transplant of a 16v

Post by kda339 »

Not Sure if this has been posted before, but I am new to the group and I am looking for some info on how to or where to get information on how to transplant a 16v CIS-E motor out of a Jetta into a digifant 8v 91 Cab. Any help will be helpful. I have the whole donor car so everything is at my finger tips. I am not sure on how I want to go and whats going to be the easiest swap. Right now I am leaning more towards keeping the CIS-E and just wire the engine bay that way. Please any help or direction you all can point me to would be great. Thanks
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by PDX Cabby »

oh man
i'm not familiar with digi to CIS of any sort

but

i do know there's quite a few guys out there running 16v Digifant...
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
ericb49
Unbreakable Bunny

Post by ericb49 »

I would run the CIS-E

the Cab has the least performance oriented version of Digifant

Assuming you will stick with the CE-I fusebox and the rest of the Cabby wiring all you need to run the motor with CIS-E Jetronic (is this the PL or 9A 16V?) is the engine harness. You only need to splice a few wires from the fusebox - switched ECU power, power for the 02 sensor, might be one or two others as it's been a while but no more than four or five. The stock gauge sensor wiring will plug into the sensors on the 16V, just make sure you correctly identify those sensors.
kda339

Post by kda339 »

ohh don't i know about the preformance end of it surely not enough. However I meet someone here in town that had changed to a new fuel rail and injectors along with it and had wired a corrado ecu into his Cab so I would probally consider this option. However it very costly for roughly about 10hp or there about I don't have the numbers so I don't know just guessing. Is there somehwere I could get this info that you speak of for the wiring if I keep the CIS-e setup. I was planning on wiring from the dash forward due to alot of goodie that is in the donor car like cruse control, MAF, plus the cluster has lower miles and I know all the gages work major plus. Any help you or others can give would be great.
qwikxr

Post by qwikxr »

dropping the 16V 2.0L Motronic "drivetrain" into a DIGI2 car, is a total piece of cake.

Only extras you'll need are:
16v motor/trans (use the 16v gearbox for fun factor)
Scirocco 16v manifold and downpipe
Ross fuel rail w/FPR adapter
Some F.I. hose with clamps
DIGI injector inserts
Injector o-rings (may as well replace them while you are there)
Timing belt, water pump (may as well..)
Water pump bolts (you KNOW you'll need them! )
12hrs of free, unobstructed time

Stay with the DIGI..
If you go CIS-E, you'll have to change the fuel pump, ecu, add KS controller, etc... Why.. The Digi2 has knock built in, it will fuel for the extra 200cc displacement, and only changes will be sensor location.. very very minimal wiring changes..
I know, I just did one a few months ago. Started Sat. morning, finished Sunday night. That included driving the GLI 16v into the driveway, dropping the drivetrain, pushing it out of the way, driving the recipient up into place, dropping the RV and trans, replacing all belts, water pump, timing belt, injector bungs, extending the fuel lines for the 16v rail, putting it all together, replacing the core support, hood, grill, etc..
OH.. And it started first hit of the key!! :thumbup: And it a TOTALLY different creature! a real screamer, compared to the 100hp lump.. It is amazing how much faster/quicker 45hp makes it! The boner makes it tough to steer!
Referencing a different forum:
Moderators moderate. Now, if only the Moderators would learn to moderate in moderation.
Mk1 H4 headlights! Killer deal!
kda339

Post by kda339 »

Ok kewl deal, However as for the wiring your saying I should run with the Cab ECU and K/S setup? What type of injectors should I use? I have a friend that is willing to help me on the wiring issues. He recommends on using the Corrado setup because it would give the extra throttle that the 16v holds. As for the manifolds can i use the jetta one with the scirocco downpipe? How hard is it to change the core support. Mine is looking a little rough. Oh so many questions and I haven't even got the motor out yet. thou it will be by the this time tomorrow night. You know I have done motor changes with older scirocco's where I just transported everything over now I'm getting back into this and I feel like an idoit, because it has been so long. I really appreciate all the help you can give I'm really not new at this just rusty really rusty.
bmack

Post by bmack »

Question? would a corrado G-60 set up be just as effective, and you can keep the digi? I mean, wouldn't be almost a direct swap mechanically, and you just move the electrics over? I know they were kinda piggish in the corrado, but the cabby is lighter. :?
This electronic fuel injection thing is just a fad
qwikxr

Post by qwikxr »

kda339 wrote:Ok kewl deal, However as for the wiring your saying I should run with the Cab ECU and K/S setup? What type of injectors should I use? I have a friend that is willing to help me on the wiring issues. He recommends on using the Corrado setup because it would give the extra throttle that the 16v holds. As for the manifolds can i use the jetta one with the scirocco downpipe? How hard is it to change the core support. Mine is looking a little rough. Oh so many questions and I haven't even got the motor out yet. thou it will be by the this time tomorrow night. You know I have done motor changes with older scirocco's where I just transported everything over now I'm getting back into this and I feel like an idoit, because it has been so long. I really appreciate all the help you can give I'm really not new at this just rusty really rusty.
Use the DIGI stock Injectors. They are plenty big enough, and the DIGI ecu will accomodate the 200cc displacement gain..
Scirocco 16v downpipe on the Mk2 Jetta manifold is a no-go. you need both from a scirocco 16v, or an aftermarket header..
Core Sppt is a beotch. Its a weld-in, not a bolt-in like on the Mk2.
The DIGI is fine, although the Corrado complete DIGI setup is less restrictive, the Cabby setup will be plenty sufficient..
Anything you need help with, hit me up.. ;)
Moderators moderate. Now, if only the Moderators would learn to moderate in moderation.
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I'm also contemplating this type of swap. Why does the core support need to be changed?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
qwikxr

Post by qwikxr »

sixsracing wrote:I'm also contemplating this type of swap. Why does the core support need to be changed?
It doesnt. he was talking about changing his due to it needing repairs, or something..
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I was hoping that was the case, my bodywork skills are hopeless.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kda339

Post by kda339 »

Ok we got updates: The core support I am changing due to some damage and it's only $130.00 brand new. I do have the capabilities of swaping this out and putting the new one in. Yes it looks like it's gonna be a tough job for the most part it is all spot welded from VW, but I know I can do it. I have all the tools just need the time. The Digi motor with tranny is on the floor and now gone as of today. I kept the important stuff like the mounts and a couple of sensors. I am going to run the Corrado ECU with all the sensors. This I have looked into a little bit more and found out that it will handle just a little bit more than what the Digi system will do for me. It also has the advantage of being chiped which will allow the ECU to change the ingition and fuel curves if and when I choose to add a turbo or a charger to the system. If this option never comes then I still have a system that I can program to my liking other than that yes it would be the same as I got now with normal Digi just some added sensors. The big differance that I can tell you right out the box is the new system is a speed density system and the Digi system that I have is not. I'll keep you all posted as to whats up when I get to wiring the system more. I'll be doing alot of body work and getting it prep'd for paint so when thats done we'll get to crackin and get this thing wired. The car is being stripped of everthing so putting it back together is going to be real fun and that's when all the new wiring will go in for the new system.
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

What would it take to convince you to snap some pictures and post them up for the benefit of all forumkind?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

What would the ideal 16V donor car be? Obviously if you can find a 16V Scirocco with a good manifold and downpipe it would save some money. Which years of Jetta, Golf, Passat, Scirocco are best for fit and ease of swap?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Scirocco 16v - Later 86'(not too many of these), mixed 87', all of 88'

GTI - mixed/all 87'-90' (don't quote me on that one, but I know the rocco got it first.

Jetta - mixed 87'-90' (same as above)

I will say this though, if you have to get an entire rocco just for the engine and the body isn't a complete rust heap, please don't cut it up and scrap it. Let me know and I will try to find someone that can take it off your hands. There just arn't enough rocco shells left.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C