Digifant external fuel pump squeals 1990 26K

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

oldwrench
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Digifant external fuel pump squeals 1990 26K

Post by oldwrench »

I have owned my 1990 Cabriolet for 50 miles. It has only 26K.
This eBay purchased car was delivered by truck to me and I have no history other than it must have sat a lot to have this low odometer reading. The car starts and drives pretty well.
But..... Something near the right rear wheel is squealing after a few minutes of driving. I assume it is the main fuel pump.
I tried to order both fuel pumps today and discovered that the main fuel pump for my Digifant fuel system is hard to get. :banghead:

I am 1000 miles from my VW mechanic with a few hand tools along. The car is on a tow dolly behind our motor home. It would be great if we could venture around without the fear of it stranding us.
I am open to suggestions. I have read one post about putting a single chevy pump in. That is too much work to do in a campground.
Thanks for your help.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Digifant external fuel pump squeals 1990 26K

Post by Briano1234 »

The reason it is squealing is that the IN-Tank pump is being restrictive.
The main pump squeals because it has to do all the work.
The in-tank pump can also have the connect rubber hose rot and rupture, so it is best to replace that interconnect.

To change the in-tank pump you need less than 3/4 to 1/2 tank of gas, if you have to siphon it you can use a siphon hose via the gas cap.

How to do it? http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/show ... -fuel-pump
There is also a how to on this page.
You will probably need a IIRC 6 inches of 5/16 Fuel rated hose.

Change teh in-tank first and give it a go, the external can be replaced it isn't that hard to do
You can also opt for getting rid of both pumps all the rotted hoses for a single in-tank pump and all the hoses for less than 80 bucks.

Read my how to as the gimme is using a string to hold the strainer on while you put it back.

My adds to Rons single pump conversion.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/show ... -fuel-pump

Ron's Single pump conversion.
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/single ... onversion/

The link that Ron shows is my old how to change your in-tank pump, so use the link above that I provided.

Tools needed, 13mm wrench to remove the battery cable
siphon possible
Phillips Screw driver
Straight slot screw driver.
Large Straight slot Screwdriver with end taped that you can hit on or a Chisel that is taped.
Hammer.

For the conversion you need to be able to Jack the car to get to the components, Jack stand and a 10mm wrench I think iirc.
Last edited by Briano1234 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Oh, and it beats having to change a Water Pump out in a Campground in the pouring rain........been there done that.
The in-tank pump is easy.....

I forgot that I have about 200k on one external fuel pump, so I bet on the internal one or the connection hose having issues.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
oldwrench

Post by oldwrench »

Thanks for the training and the links.
I have an in tank pump ordered from Parts Place.
They are unable to find me an external pump. Do you have a source?
I hope that the new internal pump is the fix.
Thanks,
oldwrench
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

O'Reilly's and Autozone as well as napa carry them but they are expensive.
O'Reillys, and the zone used to carry the in-tank as well but they want more monies than usually ebay on the pump.

When you remove the sending unit, clean the area that the oring sits in prior to putting it back together, use Vaseline to lubricate the o-ring,
After you get it installed and prior to buttoning it up and replacing the seat, start the car and see if it isn't quietier.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Fuel-P ... Pp&vxp=mtr

wow, GAP and Autohaus stopped listing the primary pump for the Cabriolet..... Interesting.
even rock auto don't list it.....

Napa lists it as call for availability.

So pn is 867906091 External
https://www.hansautoparts.com/867906091 ... lPump.aspx

I have had bad experiences with this place so be warned,,,,
Ordered correct part, wrong part shipped, then they were going to charge me re-stocking fee for their eff-up + shipping.....

I know their Turdbowl kits are JUNK. (Turbo), never ordered just read lots of bad things...
Briano

oldwrench

Post by oldwrench »

Thanks again Brian. My new in tank pump has shipped towards us. I asked for a care package to include clamps, gaskets and anything else. I doubt if they did it. I added a can of seabreeze? and mystery oil? today. We hope it removes the varnish from the main pump and we can drive around a little. We plan on about 100 miles tomorrow to see historic St Augustine. I guess if the cabby dies I will burn it on the spot. I better remember to carry matches.
Happy Trails,
Pat
oldwrench

Post by oldwrench »

The SeaFoam Mystery Oil cocktail seemed to help the morning after we did it. However after 25 miles the squeal is back. We have little driving to do during the week and the new pump should arrive. I wish I had ordered some hose. I will get some. I loved the string idea and we have vaseline to lube the oring. Happy Trails.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

You might want to replace the Filter first as they can get plugged..... if you change out the main pump, change the filter....

Plastic hose pinch pliers are going to help you here.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

After thought on my single pump perversion to some and godsend to others.
Pro's I had to jack the car to eliminate the main pump, and remove things. Ie: filter, pump, hoses, plastic filter on side and replace with new so eliminated rotted and older fuel hoses that weren't spec'ed for E-10 gas.
Never have to get under the car for the fuel system again.
Pump is in the tank, as on more modern cars.
Less parts to Eff up in the future, and a pump that is only 50 bucks and easily replaced.

Con's
Newer pump is noisier, and you hear it at first, but the noise is a comfort, as you know it is working and you get used to it.
When on the low end of the tank, you can have a fuel starvation on a tight turn, but then don't run it for length at 1/4 tank had to beat that in to my daughters who loved to run the tank out....Which I think is why with the advent of the larger tanks in 84.5 they installed the lift pump in the tank for the same reasons probably experienced by the People (Police) that used it as the primary police car and subject to maneuvers, at speed, and that it isn't as pooling the petrol on a smaller tank than the larger one as it had a smaller profile to accommodate the full sized spare that the earlier rabbits had. I personally never had that happen on my 81 diesel, but then again the tank was a bottom feeder, rather than a top feeder.
Briano