After being stored for 4 years and not being started?

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

vwdan
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

After being stored for 4 years and not being started?

Post by vwdan »

I am looking at purchasing a 92 cabriolet with 105000 miles - issue is the car was last driven about 4 years ago and has been in a storage building since. The owner that purchased it new passed away and family is selling in. no rust, good straight body, needs top some interior work and get running. Was told it was driven up from Florida before be abandoned in the barn - what engine issues can I expect since it has been sitting so long. I know to do and oil change and clean out the fuel tank and lines. Any advise would be great, making decission this after noon.

Dan
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: After being stored for 4 years and not being started?

Post by Briano1234 »

Drain and inspect the Tank... See the how to replace the in-tank pump. To inspect you need 3/4 or less of gas. Replace the Filter.
Change the oil and such. Charge the battery.

Where in the general are of the country do you live?

Be warned that vacuum lines may leak. I would change out the Spark PLUGS for NGK.
I wold also flush and black flush the engine/radiator... sitting that long things can settle and clog.
Add some SeaFoam Engine to the oil, or MMO marvel mystery oil to the tank.
I would also spray the Cylinders with WD40 or MMO as the cylinders may be dry and no sense of letting the rings run dry.

All I can think of....for the moment.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: