Post by xrayjr900 »

Auto
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: cabby random shut off

Post by CalAltaDubber »

xrayjr900 wrote: nothing happened at all. Would you think any auto shop has it like oreilys or audio zone?
Yes just quote the part number that you used in this thread. It's just a basic relay and should be in the $10 range.

It's just a "plug and play " type thing. With the relay being in the engine compartment. I'm thinking it might have some bad internal contacts.

It appears from your description that It is being used to control the starter, which I find confusing.
Brian appears to have an idea, depending if your car is automatic.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Since you have an automatic, that is probably one of the many ways to install a "Heat Soak" relay.
The automatic Cabriolet's have a condition where the heat of the exhaust manifold bakes the starter.
The Solenoid can't pull enough current to "pick" as it is hot. If you leave it to cool about 2 hours, then your car will start.

They used a relay to shunt current from the Ignition switch straight to the starter. Basically allowing the Starter to get the Full 30-40 amps that tells the Starter to Frigging Pick, and Pick now damnit.

You said 2 things, that sort of clued me in. 1. The wire goes around to the back side of the engine..
2. You said that you remove the relay and the car doesn't want to start... Once you came back with the transmission type that pretty much
nailed it.

Starting, and Cranking are 2 separate things.. Starting to me means that the Starter engages but the car won't fire. Car not Cranking means engaging the starter.

So I am taking that to mean that if you remove the relay, the Starter won't engage and spin. If you put the Relay back then it will engage and spin.

Most folks used a Ford Starter Relay but the TSB from VW for this issue uses a standard 20-30 Amp relay.
Since yours doesn't look like a Ford starter relay they used a smaller standard relay. You can buy those in the "Fog" light section of most car parts stores.

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Install ... tRelay.pdf
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
xrayjr900
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by xrayjr900 »

Alright so going back to the main problem of the car went to oreilys yesterday and employee told me it could be the alternator. Then a customer told me to unplug the positive on the battery while the car is running and if the car stops then it's the alternator that is bad