Rusty Fuel Line

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Rusty Fuel Line

Post by boschbabe »

Has anyone ever replaced the short piece of fuel line running between some plastic box with several lines hooked up to it and the main line running to the engine? It is a short piece of metal tubing with a hose on each end. Mine is terminal. My son, who works at a shop, says it would be difficult to remove the rearmost connection at the plastic box because it will probably break. It is a '93 automatic.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Rusty Fuel Line

Post by Briano1234 »

You are Talking about the "s" shaped line from the filter to the Filter on the side of the tank.

VWheritage.com has a good selection.

I did the single pump conversion and removed all the hoses and simplified the operation and cheapened the repair.
See: http://reflectionsandshadows.com/single ... onversion/
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

That thing would cost $101 if I did the conversion right. Can it be bypassed? Hook the two pressure lines together and do the same with the two return lines? Can it be moved around a little for accessibility? I won't let the daughter drive it the way it is. Not only would it quit if it ruptured but it would be sitting there leaking gas until we can retrieve it
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

It is easier than that. It was about 80 bucks when I converted my Green one to a single pump.
I have the link to my additions to Ron's excellent thread. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... s+Tolusina

Now you can take all the hoses off the back of the car from the rear of the Primary pump, to the tank.
You will run new hose out of the tank, to the filter, from the filter to the primary pump.
You will run the return line from the front of the car back into the tank.

The easiest way to run hose is to make a hole in the old hose about 1/4 of a inch from the end of the hose at the tank sender and tie a 6 foot piece or mason twine to it. Then from under the car pull the hose out, do one at a time so you don't get confused.

Now tie that twine to the new hose, and from the back seat area pull it back up to the outlet.. Cut off the part with the hole and attach it to the outlet port. Repeat for the same line.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I bought an Airtex E3240 ($32) with the intention to do the conversion if the reservoir cracked during the hose replacement. I poked around under there yesterday and it looks like I can get to the clamps if I remove the external pump and pull the reservoir forward and down a little. But then it dawned on me that that section of hose is not system pressure. I did some research and somewhere it said that the transfer pump is "high volume low pressure". So I'm gonna wait until my daughter goes out of country this winter to tackle it, if ever.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Both the internal and external pump on the Digifant have the same operating pressures and volumes..
Trust me. Ron, and I were talking and if I hadn't done the swap on my green one, I would of tried to eliminate the External Pump and run of the standard internal one.
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I have my doubts that 40 PSI is needed to fill the reservoir but I might try using the transfer pump alone to see if it does the job. That way the conversion could be done for the price of 5 feet of hose not to mention eliminating having to deal with an open fuel tank.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The fuel tank isn't an issue if you have less than 3/4 to 1/2 a tank, just be sure that you remove the ground from the battery... Oh and Remove the Gas Cap Prior. I did a thread on it somewhere around here.
Briano