Newbie with oil pressure issue

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

KC Guy
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Newbie with oil pressure issue

Post by KC Guy »

First, let me say that I am NOT a mechanical guy, but I'm trying to figure out a problem so that I can present it to someone who is. I bought my daughter a 1993 cabrio with 47K miles on it. Oil pressure has been normal with no issues UNTIL I had the oil and filter changed. I delivered the car to her at college (about 100 miles away) and oil pressure was fine enroute until I took my foot off the gas to exit. I was met with the idiot light, buzzer, and very low pressure on the the gauge. I was told that the issue was most likely that they put in too light of a grade of oil at the change. I had the filter and oil replaced with 20W50. Oil pressure at highway speeds is about 2.5-3.0 Bar. At idle, the pressure drops to 1.0 or LESS. No buzzer or idiot light, but still very low pressure. Again, this issue only started after changing the oil. I can't say that I trust or distrust the local mechanic here. He's pretty pricey and also the only one who will work on VW Cabrios so I need to educate myself as much as possible before I hand over a blank check.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.
boschbabe

Re: Newbie with oil pressure issue

Post by boschbabe »

Join the club. My daughter's '93 only has 1.5 bar at freeway speeds and .5 at idle. The buzzer ran constantly until the cluster quit. She uses it every day including long trips. Don't like it but my standards have dropped with this car.
KC Guy

Post by KC Guy »

Thanks for the reply. Besides the low oil pressure, my concern is that this is such a change from what it was prior to the oil change. I'm not a big believer in coincidences.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I'm surprised Brian hasn't jumped in here yet.

The oil pressure test for these cars is with the engine oil temp. of 100 Deg. C, and running at 2,000 RPM, the oil pressure should be 2 Bar or greater.

I have an '88 witth a newly rebuilt engine, and the oil light does flash when it is warm.

As for oil, you should be aware, that the American Patroleum Institute (API) has changed the amount of Zinc (ZDDP) in motor oils.

The new lower levels of ZDDP are ment for modern engines, but cause excessive wear to the lifters in older engines like the ones in these cars.

Although 20W50 motor oil is a good choice, make sure the API label on the oil states it is for "Service SL". The more modern Service SN oil has reduced ZDDP levels.

Here is a link to the API site showing the curent motor oil standards.

http://www.api.org/certification-progra ... H_2013.pdf

Sorry to ramble here, hope this helps
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:I'm surprised Brian hasn't jumped in here yet.
I have to sleep sometimes.... geeeeeesh...

20w50 oil and a wix, Napagold, purolatorGOLD, stp, mobil1, Mahl, Mahnn filter. All others can cause the blinky oil light from hades. NO Bosch, Fram or Generic filters as in store labeled. Friends don't let friends do Fram Filters.

20w50 Castrol is a good oil to use.

With the temp of the oil at 80, car in neutral, temp up to middle deflection car rev the engine you should have 1.5 bar at 2000 rpm.

Not mechanical and you bought a Cabby???? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... buy a Bentley, and welcome to Rabbithood.
They are addictive little critters.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
KC Guy

Post by KC Guy »

Yeah, despite only having 47K miles on it and looking new.......I'm starting to rethink that maybe I should have bought my daughter something else. Sigh!
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

KC Guy wrote:Yeah, despite only having 47K miles on it and looking new.......I'm starting to rethink that maybe I should have bought my daughter something else. Sigh!
Don't worry, the only issue here is the car is 21 years old.

Like all mechanical things, it will break down. How severe the breakdown will be is a mater of how well the car is maintained. Take Brian's advice, purchase a Bentley manual for the car, an investment that will save frustration later. Your daughter will have lots of fun miles driving it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
KC Guy

Post by KC Guy »

Thanks. Pretty unlikely I'll even know what I am reading with a Bentley manual but it will look good in the bookcase :) I'm starting to think that one of these days I'll use my '70 Bug to tow this Cabby to the boneyard. Oh well.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

The local VW shop sold me an Audi filter. He says to look for something just inside the filter hole. A relief valve or something. He says only use those kinds. It would seem that 'relief' is the problem. Also on this site I heard about an external cooler from a previous year that helps. Also on this site a newer pump with more volume was suggested if you feel like pulling your oil pan.
KC Guy

Post by KC Guy »

I will pass all of this on to someone who actually can understand the answers. Sorry, I feel so dumb when it comes to mechanical things. Just know that the Cabby and my 70 Bug make me feel good. Just don't want my daughter stranded. Thanks to all!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

KC Guy wrote:I will pass all of this on to someone who actually can understand the answers. Sorry, I feel so dumb when it comes to mechanical things. Just know that the Cabby and my 70 Bug make me feel good. Just don't want my daughter stranded. Thanks to all!
Dumb is a word that I don't use too much.
Admitting your skill level is better than telling us you understand then remove the engine to change a light bulb, now that is DUMB.....

I will state something and if you don't have a clear understanding tell me and I will speak and type more slower.... :) It's a visual thing... I speak and type with a southern drawl...ok.

Read my I hate Plastic Parts thread,.. Getting rid of the 5 most common points of failure in the coolant system will go a very long way to drive-ability.

I will flat tell you that the 5 plastic parts are the most common failure points on the car, I know as I have changed them all out. You will want to peruse the junkyards for the drivers side water outlet flange off a older diesel mk1.

I just last week changed out my last water outlet flange ever, @ 25 dollars a kit at Napa, the fix was less than 50 bucks... I have changed those parts out at least 3 times per car, so the price of the upgrade is well worth your time.

Most of my how-tos, and there are a ton of them are pictorial, so you see what I am doing and what to remove and to replace....

Don't feel too bad, I have only been driving and wrenching on these little critters for about 34 years, and no I am not a Mechanic, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I let my Daughters drive the hell out of them, and to be honest, they have broke down at the most inopportune time... 2:30am blew a hose, or a outlet flange.... (Oh I was driving back from a friends house..)

I have driven over 5 hours and 300 miles to change a fuse that her mechanic said was good. Not to mention the 3 or 4 fuel pumps that I have had to change because she likes to run on empty.. So we all have been there and it don't matter what you let her drive, cept maybe a brand new car.... You will have issues.

Just don't let it get you down, and remember, take your time, and do it right. You will need a few basic tools as in a Digital Volt Ohm meter, a 8mm triple square 3/8 inch socket, a good set of wrenches up from 6mm to 22mm, 1 12pt 10mm and 19mm socket, then the remainder of 5-19 6 pt sockets. You may occasionally need a 30, 28, and 24... but those are for special jobs.

If Kammy tells you blank..... trust her.
If I tell you blank, and Kammy corrects me, Trust her.
We are more friendlier here, and joke, so don't take it personal, give and good as you get, it is more funner that way.

If you haven't heard this,
What do Computers, Electrics, and Divorce all have in common?
They all Start with good grounds. Replace your grounds,,,don't clean them, replace them.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kstanle2
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by kstanle2 »

Helpful advice about the oil filter. I am also battling the low oil pressure. Guess I'll get a different filter on my next oil change.

I love my Bently. It helped me solve my wiring issue when I first got my car. If I can understand it (25 and female) I'm pretty sure you can handle it. lol.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

You might want to take the STP filter off the list of acceptable filters. It was the only one I could find at my regular stops. It was less than $4 but it weighed about as much as an empty soup can. It had no bypass valve so it took my puny oil pump over a minute to fill it and start registering oil pressure. I can't believe this thing hasn't seized.