fuel? delivery issue

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

whitecabby
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

fuel? delivery issue

Post by whitecabby »

Howdy, I'm posting this for a friend with an 88. From what she's described it sounds like the cabby is acting like the fuel pump is intermittently working. The person working on it hasn't seen a fuel pump work intermittently and is hesitant to replace it, fearing that its not the pump itself broken.

Any thoughts on where to start? Poor woman is about to throw in the towel on her cabby because she's had one problem after another. Having a not-running convertible in the summer is just plain heartbreaking!

Thanks, Josh
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: fuel? delivery issue

Post by Briano1234 »

When the issue is happening, is there a loud whine from the passenger side rear wheel arch? yes, then the in-tank pump is on the fritz and causing the main pump to strain, over heat and die. Then it can cool off and start running.

If the lady drives on 1/4 of a tank or less a lot, then it is more likely that she has taken out her in-tank pump.

Fuel pumps use the gas as a lubricant and a coolant when they pump...

If the issue is after a short run say 20 minutes, then the main pump can be over heating and that will cause it to fail.

Pumps can go intermittent, but for sake of argument here, has she or the mech replaced the fuel pump relay? They have a tendency to fail as they can over heat
the solder flows out of the connections, and after it cools, It remakes the connections and you can drive it until it over heats again.

Has the mech tested the fuel pressure out of the primary pump?

Start with a fuel pump relay.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
whitecabby
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by whitecabby »

Hey Briano, thanks for replying to this post last year. I must have forgotten to mark "notify" when I submitted the request. I am embarrassed to say that I don't even remember reading your reply. Wow.

Unless I printed this off for the friend and then didn't get an answer back. My 4 kids suck my brain and memory right out the door.....
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Kids are Succubus's. Know that feeling very well myself.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: