cabby over-heating

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jimmy3fingers
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

cabby over-heating

Post by jimmy3fingers »

89 cabby. Lots done to it. takes 30-45 mins. to reach up to 105*c. Has been flushed. Timing belt has been replaced and supposidly water pump. Took out a.c. condensor unit in front of radiator for more air flow to radiator. That seems to have helped a little. Fan does run but seems it has to reach a very high temp first. What is the max operating temp.? thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: cabby over-heating

Post by Briano1234 »

Cross-poster :)

Do you have radiator cards? The top one is really necessary.
Then I would suspect that your t-stat is having issues.
The t-stat should fully open when hot at -185-185 degrees, and the
Water gauge on most of the cars is in the instrument cluster and not the temp gauge in the lower console.

That is the OIL temp gauge, and at 105 is about right for a hot engine and the only stock gauge that I know of that is in degrees Celsius.
I have seen that gauge on mine go up to 150 on a cruise with the a/c on, and is one reason that I installed a external oil cooler as they aren't stock on the
90's cabbies that the 89 had.

It could also be that your oil cooler (stabilizer) which is tied to the radiator water temp, is plugged, and may need to be replaced.

So if you are watching the oil gauge for the temp?

Since I have placed the oil coolers on both of my rides I can't get the oil above 110 @ 80mph with the a/c on.
Do you have the water level sensor in the middle of your res?
If so have you cleaned it and made sure that your fluids are at the top of the mark?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jimmy3fingers

Post by jimmy3fingers »

thanks briano.....I did'nt realize the console gauge was for oil.....I won't worry about that one since it seems to be ok. The temp. gauge in the dash usually runs with needle stright up in the middle range and covers the red light. the red light only comes on with slow rpm and driving slow...maybe lugging the engine.......possibly under reving ? I will chek the fan motor by jumping the plug on the thermo switch. Maybe change the thermo switch. fan did run but at slow speed with needle at or just above mid-range on the gauge. am I worried over a non-issue ? Lots has been done to the little darling and actually has a lot of pep for and old engine.......thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

jimmy3fingers wrote:thanks briano.....I did'nt realize the console gauge was for oil.....I won't worry about that one since it seems to be ok. The temp. gauge in the dash usually runs with needle stright up in the middle range and covers the red light. the red light only comes on with slow rpm and driving slow...maybe lugging the engine.......possibly under reving ? I will chek the fan motor by jumping the plug on the thermo switch. Maybe change the thermo switch. fan did run but at slow speed with needle at or just above mid-range on the gauge. am I worried over a non-issue ? Lots has been done to the little darling and actually has a lot of pep for and old engine.......thanks
Blinky light is the res jug or low coolant, and that can happen if you are at the min mark. I usually fill the jug to the seam where the top meets the sides.
The res jug if you have a low coolant sensor (middle if the jug) has 2 probe tips that can calcify. Clean them up and use 50/50 af to water too heavy on the af can cause blinky issues too.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jimmy3fingers

Post by jimmy3fingers »

thanks a bunch for the help, briano. this cabby has been quite a project. the seller lied to us thru his smiling teeth. we've put a lot of time and money into it and seems never ending money pit ! trying to decide to keep it or sell it at a big loss.......!?!? almost got the leaky top issue taken care of. sprayed all the rubber with silicone spray and took one turn on each lock down hook. got one small drip on the drivers side yet but ill get it ! have to rebuild/replace one cvj and fix a noisey heater fan. seats to replace..............................etc.