Low Oil Pressure

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Low Oil Pressure

Post by boschbabe »

Blinky light at idle, half bar on gauge. Only 1 bar at 2500 RPM, occasional buzzer. Seems to be common problem on other forums, not on here. Car runs good, coolant temp in middle of range. Don't want to replace oil pump.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Low Oil Pressure

Post by CalAltaDubber »

boschbabe wrote:Blinky light at idle, half bar on gauge. Only 1 bar at 2500 RPM, occasional buzzer. Seems to be common problem on other forums, not on here. Car runs good, coolant temp in middle of range. Don't want to replace oil pump.
Oil pressure should be 2 Bar at 2000 RPM when the oil is 80 Degrees C (29 PSI @ 2000 RPM, with oil temp. 176 Degrees F).

You might want to visit Cabby-Info http://www.cabby-info.com/gauges.htm There is a link to test the warning system. If not, I fear you are looking at changing the oil pump.

If it is a pump issue, they are fairly easy to swap out.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Low Oil Pressure

Post by Calimus »

The three main reasons for low oil pressure that don't leave evidence all over the ground are a faulty/worn pump, worn crank bearings or worn intermediate shaft bearings. Now the easiest of those to replace is the pump.

First I would reccomend having the pressure checked with a manual gauge just to be sure. But if you do replace the pump, use the one from a mkII 2.0 8v. Its an upgrade and if I remember, the price difference is negligible.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C