Fuel pump replacement

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Thicketmatt
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Fuel pump replacement

Post by Thicketmatt »

I recently had to replace my in-tank pump on my 93 cabby. My external pump is still working, but I decided to replace it just to be safe. Unfortunately they've changed the connector, so i need to rig up a replacement. Here's a comparison of the two with the new one on the left.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might scrounge up a connector that would fit?

Thanks, Matt
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Fuel pump replacement

Post by Briano1234 »

Usually when they change the connectors they include the new pig tail.

I would say... File off the key-ways on the new pump, then the old connector should direct fit.
You can use a wire tie to hold it together.

They may have a connector pigtail in the "help section" of your favorite parts store.
If you know what other models that pump fits, then you can probably find a pig tail in the wrecking yard

Last is to use insulated female spad connectors and then make sure they are a tight fit.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:Usually when they change the connectors they include the new pig tail.

I would say... File off the key-ways on the new pump, then the old connector should direct fit.
You can use a wire tie to hold it together.

They may have a connector pigtail in the "help section" of your favorite parts store.
If you know what other models that pump fits, then you can probably find a pig tail in the wrecking yard

Last is to use insulated female spad connectors and then make sure they are a tight fit.
I agree totally with what you say Brian.

I think a little research is needed to confirm the replacement pump is the correct one.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Thicketmatt
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by Thicketmatt »

My first thought was that I had the wrong one. I got it from GAP or Autohaus AZ - can't remember which. But I rechecked the sites and they both seem to match the unit I received.

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Ya know now that you mention it, my old pump prior to the single pump conversion had a stand off connector, I just can't remember where the keyways were for it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: