Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Dead 93

Post by Briano1234 »

No that is a parallax error on the cam mark.
So you are spot on with the timing.
Now try to start the car...
Key from off to run, not start. Do you hear the fuel pumps prime?
Try to start the car.
Is there a loud whine from the rear wheel arch passenger side?
yes/no.

Pull a spark plug, is it wet with fuel or dry?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by boschbabe »

I hear the pump running for a second when I turn the key to on. I've tried numerous times to start the car. There is nothing, even with ether. I smell gas when I do it (not overpowering). I shall pull a plug tomorrow. Parallax error?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Parallax error?
Where you are looking at something from a slight angle so that it appears off when in fact it is actually spot on.
The dimple on the back side of the cam is easier to see and judge because you are on that side of the engine, and don't have to twist about.

We need to know if your engine is flooding the plugs, that is why we need to know about the plugs being wet.

Ether and Injection cars works a tad different..It may or may not be enough to explode in the cylinders as it is being brought in with the air, and the first cylinder that is opened may get all of it.... If your plugs are wet, then they won't spark as the electrode is shorting out with the wetness of gas.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Sounds like there's no spark happening in that motor. Have you checked to make sure there is actual spark?
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

There is spark at #1 wire end using a screwdriver. To check the actual plug I'll have to wait for a helper or nightfall. I pulled a couple plugs today to check for wetness. One looked a little moist but I noticed that the piston tops looked wet. Is that normal?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:There is spark at #1 wire end using a screwdriver. To check the actual plug I'll have to wait for a helper or nightfall. I pulled a couple plugs today to check for wetness. One looked a little moist but I noticed that the piston tops looked wet. Is that normal?
No that is a sign that the engine is flooding. Take the plugs out, and let the cylinders dry a bit... then replace the plugs and the wires.
Disconnect the o2 sensor, and then try to start the engine. The o2 sensor plug is on the back corner side of the valve cover driver side
push the clips together, wiggle and pull.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:There is spark at #1 wire end using a screwdriver. To check the actual plug I'll have to wait for a helper or nightfall. I pulled a couple plugs today to check for wetness. One looked a little moist but I noticed that the piston tops looked wet. Is that normal?
You know it is really nice if you let a helper hold the spark wire in his hands, then touch frame ground to verify spark while you crank the car.
You get a good gauge of the Spark by the amount of dancing, and the width of his eyeballs of your helper, then remember you have to do every wire.

:)

You aren't pumping the gas as you crank? On the Digifarts, or EFI, that is usually counter productive.....
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

This thing didn't crap out on us on the way to a time-sensitive event because 4 month old spark plugs fouled and/or the wires developed too much resistance. The wires measured 6K ohms. I believe that is acceptable. I will check. There is something else wrong.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Usually for a car to out and out die, that is either mechanical as in a broken rod....
But for it to stop, that is usually electrical.
You have replaced your grounds?

6000 is about right for the wire resistance.

When you are cranking the engine at night in the DARK, you don't see any prancing spark fairies dancing about around the coil, coil wire, dizzy cap, or plugs?
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I will check for spark at the plug tonight. I will hook a jumper cable to the plug base. I should be able to see something through the arch in the hood while I'm cranking.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Spark is good. If that wet stuff in my cylinders is gas, it must be getting fuel. Is there a better way to check for fuel delivery without a pressure gauge? If is getting fuel then I am at a loss as to why it is dead. Even some mechanical issue shouldn't affect all the cylinders.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Spark is good. If that wet stuff in my cylinders is gas, it must be getting fuel. Is there a better way to check for fuel delivery without a pressure gauge? If is getting fuel then I am at a loss as to why it is dead. Even some mechanical issue shouldn't affect all the cylinders.
If the fuel pressure is low, then the fuel dribbles in to the cylinder and not vaporize. Or you have them picking all the time.
It isn't normal.

If the Fuel pressure regulator is bad that is one possibility.... Fuel pressures test are needed, then the FPR tests.
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I attempted to eliminate fuel delivery as the problem by spraying ether through a port in the manifold which was superior to doing it through the open throttle body. It never fired once either way.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Ether doesn't work too well in a Electronic Fuel Injected Engine.
You need to test the fuel pressures. If you don't, then you are just guessing as to what is wrong.

The last item could be Vanagon Digifant Syndrome.... But you have to have replaced all your grounds, that is Battery to frame and frame to engine.

You need to verify that the Fuel pressure is correct. I have heard of the in tank pump interconnect hose that the
fuel pump attaches to the sending unit tear, and the fuel gets sent back in to the tank instead of the main pump.

Also if you followed the Static timing, you will see that as you get the dizzy near to where it should be you will hear your fuel pumps turn on.
Briano

boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

I located the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail. I don't know where to get the setup to screw in there. Also is there anything I should know before jumping the relay terminals?