Adding a catalyzer to a European non-cat '82 GLI

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Rob A
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Adding a catalyzer to a European non-cat '82 GLI

Post by Rob A »

I am remotely involved with a back-to-work program for underprivileged youths in which they are taugh the basics of working on cars (mechanical + body work) with the aim of getting them employed in garages or body shops and possibly work their way up to becoming qualified in one of these fields.

Anyway, while looking for a project that might be exciting for them I just picked up, for the grand sum of EUR 200 (USD 250), an '82 European non-cat GLI Cabrio which had been abandoned for about a year along an Amsterdam canal. Last week it was stripped from its hood and interior and generally cleaned up and by now we are fairly confident that it has driven only about 90K km (55K mi). It has very little rust and a good set of tires on nice alloys so we're all quite pleased.

There are about three of these kids working on the car full time (though everything obviously takes a lot of time) so I guess that everything will be put back in good shape and the car will be ready for a fresh coat of paint in another month or so.

They will install a new top and I'm hopeful that I can find a nice interior, but there is one thing that annoys me - the car has no catalyzer and I just hate the idea of it polluting so much...

What do I need to install a catalyzer on a non-cat '82 1.6 GLI engine?

TIA for any and all input!

R

PS the registration papers state that it is a GTI...
'82 Cabrio GLI (GTI? - the project)
'87 Porsche 928S4
'89 Volvo 745
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Welcome to the forum, I'm not sure adding a cat. will decrease emissions as much as you think. A well tuned motor with the correct air/fuel mixture will usually run as clean as one without. Catalytic converters run a little hotter and decrease emissions by burning the unburned fuel in the exhaust, if the engine is running as it should, the amount of unburned fuel present will be minimal. As far as fitting a cat, if you go to your local parts supplier you will probably be able to find parts for an 82 euro-spec cabby that was fitted with a factory cat and figure out which parts were changed from the factory and order/purchase those. My experience with euro-spec cars and their exhaust is that a lot of it does nor interchange with U.S. spec. Do we have any members from overseas that could help out here?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Blades

Post by Blades »

Best answer is to check with you local automotive guys that do the regulation or control center. See the law that currently applies to the emissions of a 1982 car. Verify with competent VW dealer or European forums. (Here, it's mostly US spec cars)

BTW, who cares about polluting ?
My diesel doesn't have a cat and never will. Not even when it gets the hybrid AAZ. It's going to smoke baby !:)

'92 White Cabby 1.8 8v Digifant.
'92 Tornado Red Golf Diesel (1.9TD AAZ Intercooled soon)