81 cabby 1.7 5 speed/ bosch fuel punp (CIS)

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

81 cabby 1.7 5 speed/ bosch fuel punp (CIS)

Post by roadtech »

I am having trouble getting 75 psi with test valve closed, new fuel filter, I purchased a bosch replacement (napa) and the output is for a banjo fitting with a special cap/nut. The pump on the car must have been an after market and it has a hose fitting. Does anyone know where to get the banjo fitting and nut for the fuel pump, If someone has used I would be interested.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 81 cabby 1.7 5 speed/ bosch fuel punp (CIS)

Post by Briano1234 »

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

thank you Briano, that worked and I got the proper fittings. I replaced a bosch with a bosch. see pictures. Now I need to get my pressures correct. I get 85 psi at the out put of the fuel filter (see pictures) but with valve closed in the normal test location I only get 55 lbs according to test document it should be 75, I have cleaned the CPR but with the valve closed it is not supposed to be in play. any ideas??
Attachments
out put from the out side of fuel filter
out put from the out side of fuel filter
the recommended pump
the recommended pump
original pump not correct for this application
original pump not correct for this application
old fuel pump.jpg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

A couple more photos
Attachments
the inline valve closed only 55 lbs
the inline valve closed only 55 lbs
the connections for testing
the connections for testing
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Well I figured out my pressure problem, the shut off valve was not working properly on the test guage. I put the single hose and got 85, pulled a washer and got 70. Now I have the the number one injector spraying while the others are not. Number 1 is not supposed to spray. I swapped injectors (1 and 2) and number one still sprays. Is there a way to adjust just one injector, I see little Allen caps next to each fuel hose on the distributor. or is there something else I should look at.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

It appears, to me anyway, that you've got the gauge connected backwards in the second gauge photo. The proper test position for a gauge in testing CIS pressure: The plain-Jane hose (i.e. without the valve) connects to the center-most port on the fuel distributor; the hose with the valve then connects to the CPR fuel line you disconnected from the fuel distributor. It remains connected like that for system pressure, control pressure, and (initial) residual pressure. Valve closed = system pressure (which should be 68-77 psi); valve open = control pressure (temperature dependent, see chart in manual)
roadtech wrote:Now I have the the number one injector spraying while the others are not. Number 1 is not supposed to spray. I swapped injectors (1 and 2) and number one still sprays. Is there a way to adjust just one injector, I see little Allen caps next to each fuel hose on the distributor. or is there something else I should look at.
A) Under what conditions is the #1 injector not spraying? I ask this only because all 4 injectors should spray continuously when everything is connected and running properly.

B) The fuel distributor is precisely manufactured and calibrated at the factory and should never be messed with unless you absolutely, positively know what you're doing. In other words, don't touch the Allens. :wink:
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

the car is not running, the air door is closed so there should not be any fuel going through the injectors, the number one injector is spraying. I am still tweeking, I pulled the distributor apart and cleaned but did not touch the allen adjusters. I will keep working I need to pull the tank and clean. Then I will go after my pressure readings. The cpr had rust in the screens but other than that it looked pretty good. the fuel distributor was also in good shape.