Seafoam? Yes or No? and How on MK1

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Seafoam? Yes or No? and How on MK1

Post by cabbygal »

Hi everyone as my title asks - Seafoam yes or no? I have a 90 and its running a lil rough - anyone use seafoam and if so- what is your take/experience with it?

Secondly How do i seafoam my 90 Cabby -

Thanks all
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Seafoam? Yes or No? and How on MK1

Post by Briano1234 »

Describe Rough, and what you have done to it.

As Sea Foam works, but I would only use it after....
If you aren't using NGK plugs, that could be an issue as well as Wires, Cap and Rotor.
If you haven't replaced your Battery to frame and frame to engine/tranmission Do so.
If it is acting funny, then I would suggest replacing all your vacuum hoses, and if the idle by-pass screw is finger tight, then that o-ring on it is bad.
Replace the CTS (BLUE) sensor.
Yes I have used Sea Foam....
Get and aquarium air valve.
Get some clear hose.
On one end of the valve you place in to the FPR hose in the Throttle body, or you can use a hose from the Air Box, Pick the one that goes back to the throttle body. Place the free end of that hose in to the air valve. (Be sure the air valve is turned off.)
Back the car out of the garage... Place a piece of hose in to the sea foam can, then into the other air valve port.

Start the car, and then slowly open the aquarium valve a wee bit and it will start sucking the sea foam in to the intake. You want to use the vavle to meter the stuff in.... Otherwise it will suck in the whole car in a few seconds and really not do as it is supposed to.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Also when using sea foam, no matter how you use it, change the oil after your done.itsnanserious detergent and will break all kinds of gunk loose. Some of it will make its way to the oil pan.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Hoppy
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by Hoppy »

I have used Techron with good results. You can also put seafoam in your tank at fill up. I don't have much faith in witches brew stuff overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

1950 Beetle
1955 Beetle
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (Best Seller)
cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by cabbygal »

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I just had a tune up not ngk blue wires but I remember my mechanic got the wrong distributor cap and stupidly forced it on - and the car went nuts - I then told him put the old one back on please he had to use tie wrap - I have another distrib cap that I think I am going to replace - thinking it may be the culprit?