30 year old fuel lines is a fire waiting to start

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Hoppy
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

30 year old fuel lines is a fire waiting to start

Post by Hoppy »

There is a saying in the Vanagon community 'change your fuel lines' due to the high fires that they experience, so after almost 30 years I'm looking at changing the fuel lines in Hoppy, are there kits available? whats involved other than r/r?
John

1950 Beetle
1955 Beetle
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (Best Seller)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 30 year old fuel lines is a fire waiting to start

Post by Briano1234 »

Hoppy wrote:There is a saying in the Vanagon community 'change your fuel lines' due to the high fires that they experience, so after almost 30 years I'm looking at changing the fuel lines in Hoppy, are there kits available? whats involved other than r/r?
Not that I am aware of. Last Christmas, I did Ron's single fuel pump conversion on my green rabbit. I got rid of all the old crap and replaced it with new. Now I do have a digifant.
But I tell you that the hose on the 92 was suspect to say the least. My Steel lines from the pump to the engine compartment were still good, and not showing age, however, the rubber was crap.... Then a couple of week ago, my blue cabby's fuel line from the hard point to the fuel rail started to leak at the rail. Even after cutting the connection end down, it still leaked and I ended up replacing it with new. This stuff was less than 2 years old. So I went to a couple of stores and compared what I had to what they were selling. I bought at napa the 2 foot that I needed and it was about 6 bucks, but it had 2 nylon re-enforced bands.... and they stated that the rubber was for the newer gas/alcohol blends.

By the way, my dad had a vanagon that the fuel line nipple came out as I was driving down the road.... No fire, and I got it fixed. In 78, I had a friend that had a vanagon that caught fire, he was really lucky that we spotted it and extinguished it before it caused any serious damage..... We were watching him start it and noticed smoke.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: