How to clean Idle Valve Stabilizer - 90

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

How to clean Idle Valve Stabilizer - 90

Post by cabbygal »

Hey everyone - I need to clean my idle Valve stabilizer and not sure what needs to be done - Un-clamped and cleaned - I heard to use Carb cleaner - Looking for some images or video as its always helpful -

Thanks everyone its a 90 Cabbie
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: How to clean Idle Valve Stabilizer - 90

Post by kamzcab86 »

tencentlife wrote:Remove the ICV and flush it out with carb cleaner and blow out with air. Do it a couple times. You valve sounds like it is working but getting gummed up, and cleaning usually gets them working smoothly again. This is a common problem.
That's how you do it, spray it in from both ends. Let it soak in there, then blow it out. You can also easily work the valve when off the car by just jumping its two pins to a 12V battery, polarity doesn't matter. It is a simple solenoid, apply power to hold the valve open as long as you want, and you can shoot cleaner thru it while held open. Work it a bunch of times and spray and blow it out, eventually it will free up. If it doesn't open and close with a smart snap, but a thud instead, then it's still dirty. They catch a load of oily crap from the crankcase breather system. Your symptoms sound like the solenoid still works, so it seems pretty sure you'll get it to work better just by cleaning.

A maintenance cleaning every few years wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it working smoothly.
From http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338699 (Yes, it's a Vanagon forum, but the Digifant vans use the same ISVs as the Cabs). I cleaned my still-functioning-fine ISV with ^that method; worked great. Make sure the valve is completely dry before reinstalling.

Found a site with photos: http://www.vwgolf-mk2.com/eclean_idle_c ... e0904.html (disregard the second half about cleaning the idle adjust screw unless your screw is loose).
cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: How to clean Idle Valve Stabilizer - 90

Post by cabbygal »

Ok I didnt quite do it this way and I am afraid it wasnt dry before i attached?? major problem you think?