intermittent miss

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

intermittent miss

Post by eric4321 »

Well we had a great BAP this year. I missed all the TRFers this year but pulled in 2nd place after geting the top done (no rear window) Fri at 1AM. Well we left the show to head to Knoxville TN and got about 50 miles away and the engine started to randomly miss. Parked at a rest area for about 15 min to let the engine cool down and then drove the last 50 miles no problem. Today I went for a drive in the hills and got about 100 miles and the car started missing again and then stalled when I stoped and wouldn't restart untill it cooled down. The fuel pumps are only 2 years old and it is not the coolant temp sensor or the knock sensor. Could it be a coil or the dizzy? I will test the fuel pressure when I get home. Also wires and cap and rotor and wires are only 1 year old. Anyone have any ideas??
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: intermittent miss

Post by Briano1234 »

bad plugs, was there a whine from the rear when it was missing? Lastly, I have had flaky issues on mine when the Fuel Pressure Regulator was iffy. The
Fuel pressure test in the Bentley nailed it.

Have you replaced your Grounds yet?

Congratulations on the 2nd place.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Congrats on 2nd Eric.

As for the miss, I've found that age of fuel pumps doesn't matter. I'd first check to see if the in-tank pump is working. My 87' rocco did exactly what you had happen and I found that the in-tank had croaked and the main pump would shut down once it got too hot from trying to pull the full load. Sometimes it would fire back up long enough to get me off the road, other times I got to sit a while.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Well I did some checking and found I am showing 0 resistance from positive to negitive on the coil. Bently gives the spec for resistance. I replaced the batery to frame and frame to trans grounds. All other grounds read 0 resistance even when I move and wiggle them. I was wondering what cables to use for the coil to valve cover and ecu grounds. I have a coil coming in today we will see if that solves it. Also no dreaded fuel pump whine at all.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)