Warm Start/Idle Trouble - Auxiliary Air Regulator

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

MrTea
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Warm Start/Idle Trouble - Auxiliary Air Regulator

Post by MrTea »

Posted a couple weeks ago on the Introductions forum. My cabby was acting up after I gave it a "warm" start. When I would stop and get back in an hour or so after driving it, the RPMs would jump up and down like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HZiNKINkU

Pressing on the gas would make it stop jumping, but the problem came back as soon as I let off. It drove fine, just did that every time I would stop or idle. This only happened after a "warm start". The car had no issues at all when I would fire it up in the morning, or when I left to go home after work.

Thanks to Calimus, we were able to source the problem to the Auxiliary Air Regulator. Three of the rivets on the unit had popped off, and the last was barely hanging on, this was allowing air to get in and cause our problem. Picked up a replacement for around $10 at our local Junk Yard (We are spoiled here.. this last trip they had six cabbies!)

Problem fixed! Hope this helps someone else with similar issues.
20111231_122405.jpg
aar.jpg
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Warm Start/Idle Trouble - Auxiliary Air Regulator

Post by Briano1234 »

Thanks for the update.... will keep that in the back of my cranial filing cabinet.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

MrTea wrote:(We are spoiled here.. this last trip they had six cabbies!)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Making a note of junkyard Cabby VINs and sending them to me would be most appreciated (including a pic of each would be even more awesome)... for the Cabriolet Registry. :beer:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Wow, don't think I've ever seen the aux valve ever have that problem, that's a new one to me. Awesome you got it sorted. As for the Thanks, you are very welcome. That's why this place is here. We all help each other. Sometimes with the cars, sometimes with sanity and sometimes it's with body's (Brian, I swear I'll never tell anyone :wink: )
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

BTW, interesting tidbit about those air regulators -- if you loosen the locknut you can see next to the hose fitting in the picture, you can side it back and forth and adjust the amount of cold idle speed boost. On my automatic I opened it up a bit to reduce hesitation during warmup.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force