i need a link!

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

oshwass1969
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

i need a link!

Post by oshwass1969 »

I need a link on how to change the rings on my pistons for my 87 cabriolet, number 2 and 4 are leaking oil and coming out of the spark plug holes, any help would be appreciated...thanks in advanced
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Re: i need a link!

Post by eric4321 »

First things first before you go tearing the engine apart have you done a compression test and a leak down test to verify that the rings are bad? A Bently manuel would be much needed to do rings. You can change just the ring with the engine in the car but if the rings are in fact worn out it would be wise to get the block machined and checked and that is much better off removing the engine. You may want to consider a rebuilt engine or geting a runing engine out of a wrecked car if yours is bad. If the rings are replaced and the cylinder walls are bad the new rings will not seal properly. Think long and hard about what your goals are for the car are if you rebuild or replace the engine. Do you want more power or just a stock daily driver?
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Post by CalAltaDubber »

eric4321 wrote:First things first before you go tearing the engine apart have you done a compression test and a leak down test to verify that the rings are bad? A Bently manuel would be much needed to do rings. You can change just the ring with the engine in the car but if the rings are in fact worn out it would be wise to get the block machined and checked and that is much better off removing the engine. You may want to consider a rebuilt engine or geting a runing engine out of a wrecked car if yours is bad. If the rings are replaced and the cylinder walls are bad the new rings will not seal properly. Think long and hard about what your goals are for the car are if you rebuild or replace the engine. Do you want more power or just a stock daily driver?
Very good advise here.

I totally agree.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
oshwass1969

Post by oshwass1969 »

eric4321 wrote:First things first before you go tearing the engine apart have you done a compression test and a leak down test to verify that the rings are bad? A Bently manuel would be much needed to do rings. You can change just the ring with the engine in the car but if the rings are in fact worn out it would be wise to get the block machined and checked and that is much better off removing the engine. You may want to consider a rebuilt engine or geting a runing engine out of a wrecked car if yours is bad. If the rings are replaced and the cylinder walls are bad the new rings will not seal properly. Think long and hard about what your goals are for the car are if you rebuild or replace the engine. Do you want more power or just a stock daily driver?
yea the engines is bad and would be cheaper to buy a rebuilt motor then trying to re-build the old one, i really want a 2.0 aba engine swap for the extra power but cant find a detailed instuction on how to do the whole job correctly. The 2.0 engines are dime a dozen down here and cheap, just want to make sure i get it from the right year and make of VW, so i need sugestions from anybody or links on how to do the job....HELP!!!! :eek: :shock: :!:
oshwass1969

Post by oshwass1969 »

oshwass1969 wrote:
yea the engines is bad and would be cheaper to buy a rebuilt motor then trying to re-build the old one, i really want a 2.0 aba engine swap for the extra power but cant find a detailed instuction on how to do the whole job correctly. The 2.0 engines are dime a dozen down here and cheap, just want to make sure i get it from the right year and make of VW, so i need sugestions from anybody or links on how to do the job....HELP!!!! :eek: :shock: :!:
ANYBODY????? :?: :?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Post by CalAltaDubber »

You might check Kamz site http://cabby-info.com. I think she has some links for proven engine swaps into cabbys
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image