Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

iownme
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

hot start problem

Post by iownme »

Hi, new member here so go easy :+)

recently bought an 85 cabriolet. replaced plugs, air/oil filter, fuel filter. replaced all the vacuum connections, re-connected several disconnected vacuum and electrical connections.

The issue its had from day one is that when the engine is hot it does not want to start. If it does start the idle is very rough and wants to die. If i give it a small amount of gas it still wants to die. If i give it a good amount of gas and get the rpm's up to around 3000 then it goes back to normal with a normal idle.
Found several threads with this symptom, but none with an actual answer...can anyone help me solve this???.

btw...when the engine is hot then the motor turns but is hard to catch, it's not the "no hot start" associated with the starter wire issue

Thanks muchly
1985 VW cabriolet, automatic
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: hot start problem

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hi and welcome to TRF. We don't eat new folks here, so don't be worried.

I was just looking at your other post, and as Brian suggested there, it might be related to this issue. So let's help you sort that one out firs and then if this one presists, then deal with it.

If you haven't already, I stronly suggest that you purchase a Bently manual for your car. They are a little pricy, but worth the investment to keep your car running. Bently is considered the best manual simply because it contains the most information.

Finally, we would all love to see a picture of your car, so please look around the site and post one.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
iownme

Post by iownme »

i'll take and post pics tomorrow, also some other pics of things that may be contributing
iownme

Post by iownme »

here are some pics of the car and the engine, note the disconnected plug....any ideas where it goes?
Attachments
VW 005.jpg
VW 003.jpg
VW 002.jpg
iownme

Post by iownme »

here are some of the engine
Attachments
VW 008.jpg
VW 007.jpg
VW 004.jpg
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

iownme wrote:here are some pics of the car and the engine, note the disconnected plug....any ideas where it goes?
I have the same on my '87. It came that way, so That is not the issue.

I had a similar starting issue on my '88. It was corrected when I reset the timing (The distributor was way out). To compensate, someone had turned the idle way up.

With the engine warmed up, do the following.

So set the engine to TDC and take the cap off the distributor. Remove the rotor and the plastic guard at the base of the rotor. Then replace the rotor. The contact of the rotor should be centered with the mark on the distributor casting.

Adjust the distributor so the mark aligns with the rotor. Then replace the plastic guard and the cap.

If the idle is too fast, adjust the idle adjust screw so the car will idle around 1000 RPM.

Nice looking car you have.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
iownme

Post by iownme »

Thanks!...i replaced the distributor with a new unit a couple of weeks ago, car ran better but didn't fix the problem.
I adjusted the timing by the "feel" of the engine as i looked up the timing procedure and it looked overly complicated....i have a good strobe light and know how to time an "ordinary" engine, so i'll try your suggestion....though how do i find TDC on this engine, and do i go by a specific cylinder?
Exact instruction needed!!
thanks again
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

That "plug" is a test port for checking the car's duty cycle. The procedure, which you should do, is outlined in detail here: http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm . Click on the camera icons for step-related photos. Doing this, along with adjusting the idle, if need be, might correct your hot-start problem.

How to the set the timing: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AdjustingTheTiming.pdf .
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

There's the whole procedure. I keep forgetting that Kamy has more information about these cars on her site than anyone else!
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image