92 cabriolet, auto

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

vw bum
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

92 cabriolet, auto

Post by vw bum »

92 cabriolet. I cannot get my RPMs to increase. Car idles at 750, but I want to increase it to 900. When I screw the idle screw out, nothing happens, it continues to idle at 750. Car runs perfect, no issues. I replaced both black and blue sensors, new plugs,rotor,wires,and cap. Timing is right on. I tried a different ISV with some improvement. I will try another ISV. I also sprayed inside the throttle body as well as taking out the idle screw and spraying intake ckeaner into the idle screw housing. Its not plugged up. Outside of a bad ISV, i'm stumped. Any suggestions.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 92 cabriolet, auto

Post by Briano1234 »

The idle on a Auto is supposed to be between 700-800.
So it is normal....

I know I have 2 Autos.
Now also I would check your grounds on the car and replace them. Bad grounds cause a lot of Grief...........
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
vw bum

Post by vw bum »

Brian01234: Thanks for answering. Yes, I understand that the idle is 750 and that is normal. I would like to know why why screwing the idle out doesn't increase my RPMs. I put the car in drive and the RPMs go down to 650, thus the reason for the increased in RPMs to 800-850. I cleaned the grounds and followed all suggestion. I live in Danville, Illinois, where you once worked. Car runs perfect, thanks to the exceptional advice. Any other suggestions are appreciated
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Working in Danville, that was a few (quite) a few years ago.. :)
For those that don't know it is the home town of Dick, and Jerry Van Dyke, Donald O'Connor, and Gene Hackman....

You can try to eliminate the vacuum leaks that may be caused by the idle by-pass screw on the back of the throttle body, and check the Air Intake tube for weak spots.

My Green Cabby had a low idle that I finally tied back to the ISV not getting the proper voltage, and had to re-wire it back to the ECU.

Then the last time I had funny Idle was the Fuel Pressure Regulator was bleeding off pressure.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Steve E J
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by Steve E J »

Not that I know anything about the low idle. But it's good to hear of people on here living in IL. I live about an hour from you in Champaign.
Do you know if the "pull a part" junkyard(Bryants?) in Danville has vw cabriolets or rabbits?
pazliberty
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by pazliberty »

I cleaned the grounds and followed all suggestion. I live in Danville, Illinois, where you once worked. Car runs perfect, thanks to the exceptional advice. Any other suggestions are appreciated...
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

paz, I'm a bit late on this one, but it's possible the little passageway the idle speed screw threads into has gotten gummed up. Try spraying some carb cleaner in there.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force