A/C Compressor missing bolts??????

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

NyceKarr
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

A/C Compressor missing bolts??????

Post by NyceKarr »

Haven't really been able to post lately. Miss chatting with everyone but today is tough to say the least. Been working on Karmaan here and there getting her up to date (88 cabriolet). Changed out the belts last week or so and somehow to day just noticed that the bolts for the A/C compressor have magically disappeared....no clue :roll: . Didn't even notice them missing when i changed out the belts, well mostly due to the fact i only replaced the power steering and alt belts and totally stripped out the alt sprocket bolt :banghead: . Got that handled at least :thumbup: . But anyway, I really need to know what size those bolts are so as i can replace them. ace is just down the block but Id rather not play the guessing game. I checked the Bently and no mention of the bolt size.

So simply my hard question is....What is the bolt size that holds the A/C Compressor in place? Not the adjustment bolt on the front of the engine, but the two pivot bolts that hold the Comp. to the engine. Thanks for your time.... :mrgreen:

Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: A/C Compressor missing bolts??????

Post by Calimus »

I don't recall what the thread pitch on those bolts are, but it's common for them to take a walk. Blue locktite is your friend with those. If I happen to run across the thread pitch, I'll post it up.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I would suggest that you run a bolt or 3 in the hole to determine the thread by using a nut then run to Ace and get a metric "Allen"

The vagcat lists it as allen key head bolt M10X30 but no pitch is given.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

Do you think , other then length, would it be the same thread count as the alt bolt. There are two bolts to be used for the comp. but maybe I can just bring the alt pivot bolt and match that....i dunno Im going to try it. Ill let you know my findings. Thank you very much!
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

Definitely not the same size as the alternator pivot bolt. Well until tomorrow then.
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I am thinking 1.5 pitch..
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

Briano Briano as to no ones surprise. You my friend were right again! 1.5 pitch. The a/c pivot bolts were/are 10mm 1.5 X 30mm and 25mm. Those are what I used and they are working well. so far so good. Sorry it took so long to get back but wow what a hard time it was to find these on a shelf. VW dealer wanted $5.75 per. Found them at ACE Hardware (the third i was able to visit) for $1.30 and $1.40.
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi