Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

StephanieGA
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Question about shift linkage

Post by StephanieGA »

Not sure where else to post this.

Daughter's shifter is really sloppy. Noticed now that we have everything apart that we really need to get in there and replace some things. I've seen the shifter bushing kits online but her car seems to need a part replaced that is not included in that kit. Can anyone take a look at figure 4.1 and 4.2 in the manual transmission and clutch section of the Bentley manual and tell me about replacing the relay lever and shaft. Her's has no bushings at all and is really wallowed out and sloppy. Can this be easily replaced after the engine is put back together or is it something we really need to do now?

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Question about shift linkage

Post by Briano1234 »

If it is a 5spd: see ebay item number 190584172019 or search for mk1 vw cabriolet shift kit
the bushings in question is the clear ones.

Also if you go out to the missing linkz:
Get the short shifter, then make your own billet weight... it Rocks...
I gave my old one to some one and they haven't had a chance in the last 5 or 6 years to install it... as I understand it... :) I wonder who they are? William night know :)

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... kage.shtml

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... kit_03.jpg

How to make your own weighted billet? You can use any kind of weight, like lead and wrap it around the shaft...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2056&hilit=cheap+billet
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: