Oil surge baffle

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

StephanieGA
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Oil surge baffle

Post by StephanieGA »

We pulled the oil pan today and found tons of large chunks of plastic in the bottom of the oil pan and clogging the pick up screen. Seems her oil surge baffle gave up the ghost. Anyone know where
to get another one?

It's always something, isn't it?

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Oil surge baffle

Post by Briano1234 »

Germanautoparts.....
autohausaz.com
parts4vws.com

I would also probably take the time to get the upgraded oil pump, that is for a 2.0 and if you have a less than a 90 model
you would need the bolts.

When I replaced my oil pumps, one beasite baffle shattered, the other didn't. But I ordered and replaced the baffles on both.
Some one makes a oil pan gasket that has it's own baffle... I just don't remember where I saw it. found it:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/produc ... 037115220B pricey

I would find a dealer in Athens that can order from world pak, They are a large import wholesale place... with a distribution center in Norcross, I know that baker auto imports, and autobahn performance orders from there and I usually can have the parts in a couple of hours.

Don't forget Napa, you can go on the http://www.napaonline.com and find the part, and number... call them and see how long it will take to get it. The Distribution Center is local to me in Norcross, and if they have it I usually go there to buy.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

What's going to happen if we run it without the baffle in place? No way we can order the part and have it here before assembly this week. Hubby says it is just to keep oil from sloshing from side to side during hard cornering and it won't be missed short term.

Stephanie in GA
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Also, take a look at this page please

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index. ... 20a&page=2

Is the baffle we're replacing the first one or second one down the page? didn't seem to be enough plastic in the bottom to be the first one but that is what seems to match based on description.
Bentley has picture of the second one down as the one we need.

Any suggestions?

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index. ... oh1oc14hd1 should be the proper baffle for a non windage oil pan gasket (standard) that is what mine looked like. but...
That seems to be a little steep as I don't think mine cost about 20 bucks.

It appears that the second one is the replacement.
http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/prod ... _Deflector 50 bucks for the old one, but crap for that I would go with the gasket with the inbuilt one.

Is it needed? Yes, as when you are in a turn the oil can slosh around the engine starving the pump for a moment... and if you are doing all that to your engine, then I would get one. The smaller replacement probably serves as well.

In the old days when I used to GymKana MG's and things, in the hard sharp turns you would hear the tappets clack clack clack from loss of oil, you would also see the oil pressure fluctuate like a mo fo...

Same with a hydraulic head starved for oil....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

New oil pump with baffle located locally! Yay! Happy dance!

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Locally sourced parts are a good thing, specially if they have a LLW (lifetime limited warranty)...
Shocks, alternators, and large items are good to purchase that way...

And you are keeping your monies in the community that you live, which keeps everyone happy....
Briano

StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

It's a Schadek oil pump for 1.8L. He didn't have one for a 2.0. Picked it up when we picked up the head today. Hopefully can reassemble soon.

Stephanie in GA