Head gasket info

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Head gasket info

Post by eric4321 »

Well my 93 Cabby was starting to leak coolant between the head and the block. I replaced the coolant outlet flange not to long ago and confirmed I had a leak along the length of the block. What I need to know is 1 what brand of gasket is best, any I should avoid? 2 I have 2 spare 1.8L cis hydro lifter heads for my 81 Rabbit. If my digi head happens to be bad will a cis head work? I am going to replace the water pump and thermostat and hoses as preventive measures while doing the job as well.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Head gasket info

Post by Briano1234 »

You can use a Napa Gasket, they are usually FelPro, and I have used them for years.
You will need a 12mm Triple Square "Allen" to get it off, then when returning the torque you need to be sure to go the torque setting then 1/4 turn...

I think I read here you can use a CIS head, you just have to unplug it or something,,, so a search on the vortex...

See how do I change my water pump.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2178
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

Thanks for the info Brian. I already have those tripple square bits for working on my 81 Rabbit. Another thing I saw that has me wondering is my Cabby's engine block was made in Brazil. As far as I can tell it is a JH engine code. I thought just the Westmoreland Rabbits got Brazilian blocks. Were all Cabby engine blocks Brazilian or what? Not that big a deal I was just a bit suprised by it.
(Project next in line)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

eric4321 wrote: As far as I can tell it is a JH engine code. I thought just the Westmoreland Rabbits got Brazilian blocks. Were all Cabby engine blocks Brazilian or what? Not that big a deal I was just a bit suprised by it.
A '93 Cabriolet had a 2H Digifant engine from the factory. If yours does indeed have a JH, your 2H was swapped out at some point. Double-check your engine block code and cylinder head part number (post 'em here if you want; we can probably decipher what you've got). It's possible you have a hybrid if your car is still Digifant: JH block with 2H head, etc.

As far as I know, all Cabriolet engines were built in Germany. Furthermore, only the '83-'84 GTIs got JH engines, which I'd presume were shipped in to Westmoreland from Germany.
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

I just checked the code on the block: 2H 089772 made in Brazil. Code on the head 026103373 AA made in Germany. As far as I know the car is stock with Digi setup and about 89,000 on the odo when I bought her. I thought I read Cabbys came with a JH block and the 2 looked like an J at first glance.
(Project next in line)
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

that sounds odd...

but, in any case, same headgasket for all 8v Mk1's.

If you're looking for maybe a bit more oomph, Autotech has a thinner gasket that'll bump your compression ratio a bit. it's an easy bolt on 10hp
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

PDX Cabby wrote:that sounds odd...

but, in any case, same headgasket for all 8v Mk1's.

If you're looking for maybe a bit more oomph, Autotech has a thinner gasket that'll bump your compression ratio a bit. it's an easy bolt on 10hp
Why are all bolt-ons an additional 10hp, I should be up to 300 horses by now....:)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

I have not researched a thiner head gasket much but I have a few concerns about doing that. Would that make the engine into an interference engine and would I need to run higher octane gas? My Cabby is fine on 87 octane with about 2 degrees of advance over spec. More power can be fun but I want to keep the car practical as well.
(Project next in line)
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

yeah, after ~9.5:1 you do want to run a knock sensor or up the octane.
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

Well I fially got around to pulling the head of yesterday. I was suprised I still have cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores. :-). The pistons have a + next to the arow on the piston tops. Does this mean they are over size pistons? The head bolts seamed to be torqued unevenly and I think that was the reason for the coolant leak. I am planing on replacing the head bolts as well.
(Project next in line)