Please HELP!!! New Starter and Car still won't Start?!?!

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Please HELP!!! New Starter and Car still won't Start?!?!

Post by kamzcab86 »

Before you go throwing more parts at the car, turn to page 13-24 in your Bentley manual and test the ignition switch with your multi-meter.
RabbidCabby9
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by RabbidCabby9 »

Hey Briano1234, is the write up on 152.com for the A2 ignition switch viable direction to change my ignition switch in my 89 Cabby.

How long should this task take me? 2 hours?

Any special tricks that i need to keep an eye out for, and is there anything in there that i can upgrade/repair(performance wise) while i have all this stuff apart?

your thoughts are hugely appreciated!!!!

Cheers!
knuckles&shanks

RabbidCabby9
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

http://www.4130-products.com/step/ign/index.htm <-- Same basic procedure for the A1/Mk1.
RabbidCabby9

Post by RabbidCabby9 »

Ok, I am close to replacing my ignition switch till I hit another snag in yet again another project that shouldn't be so frustrating, right?

How do I get this damn spacer off of the steering column?

The extra wires goin to the turn signal had to be cut...guess that will be my first shot at soldering, except now I need to get a gun....

Thoughts? Tricks? Any advice would do!!!
knuckles&shanks

RabbidCabby9
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

RabbidCabby9 wrote:Ok, I am close to replacing my ignition switch till I hit another snag in yet again another project that shouldn't be so frustrating, right?

How do I get this damn spacer off of the steering column?

The extra wires goin to the turn signal had to be cut...guess that will be my first shot at soldering, except now I need to get a gun....

Thoughts? Tricks? Any advice would do!!!
You shouldn't need to cut any wires. I believe the wires you are speaking of are for the Cruise Control and lead to a connector behind the dash. It should be a simple matter of seperating the connector.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
RabbidCabby9

Post by RabbidCabby9 »

Yes, those wires(crz/cntrl) won't be needed in the future cause i plan on putting at least a 16V in this machine eventually.....

But the real problem is with the black plastic spacer that i can't get off the steering column. The Bentley Manual says in step 4. under Removing and Installing Steering Column Switches:Suspension and Steering; Remove the spacer sleeve by twisting it off of the steering column using channel-lock pliers. -WTF????? Tried that, no luck, just locking the steering column and even though that is what should happen, what then? The black spacer can't come off of the steering column tube cause it won't be able to pass over the shaft???? Do i break off the black spacer and replace it??? But how am i gonna get it back on......

Yea...do i need the black spacer? can i get a replacement for cheap? Auto store? How do i install?

They make it sound so simple in the manual and in the A2 4130 instructions as well, but those directions don't show the "black spacer" either!!!

Hmm?
knuckles&shanks

RabbidCabby9