Help Identifying Part

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GreaseJunkie
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Help Identifying Part

Post by GreaseJunkie »

Does anyone know what this is? I was replacing some radiator hoses and saw a hose with a tear in it and followed it with my hand to the back of the engine block and found this. It was loose, so I pulled at it and it came right off. Obviously it's shot and I would like to replace it (if necessary), but I don't know what it's called or what it does exactly. I think something to do with the heat or some sort of exhaust from the engine? I've searched engine parts, exhaust parts, cooling parts, heating parts. Nada.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG-20101208-00074.jpg
IMG-20101208-00075.jpg
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Re: Help Identifying Part

Post by eric4321 »

That looks to me like the piece of tin that bolts to the outside of the exhaust manifold. You should have a piece of hose going from the intake box to that(it is on the driver side of the manifold) what it does is help provide warm air to the engine on cold starts. Some people say it is needed others will not. If you have strict smog inspections then you will need it.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Yup, Eric is right. It is the Warm air supply for your CIS system. It takes warm air from the exaust manifold and connects to the air induction thermostat under the airbox.

To make your engine run, you don't really need it. I have it connected on my '87 because it came that way. I don't on the '88.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
GreaseJunkie

Post by GreaseJunkie »

Perfect, gents, thanks! I have the pre-heat hose in my cart on Parts Geek (I was able to find that part by appearance, not description, as it's the only hose that looks like it belongs on my clothes dryer). I don't like unnecessary expenses or parts, especially when they are all the way behind the engine. I'm skipping it for now, unless someone on eBay has one for sale cheap.

I'm going to start a new thread on performance parts. My 196,000 miles have made this bunny into a tortoise.

(I also have an '87. I had an '88 Fox; I loved that car.)