Squealing AC?

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jgold723
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Squealing AC?

Post by jgold723 »

I'm getting an occasional squealing sound that I'm guessing is the AC compressor. It seems to happen when the AC or defrost is on. It's not the power steering. The AC doesn't work anyway, so I'm hoping I can just let the compressor freewheel. Can the compressor be unplugged in some way to accomplish this?

John
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Squealing AC?

Post by Calimus »

The compressor can be unplugged and allowed to free wheel. However, be sure and find out if it's the belt or the compressor itself screaming. If it's the belt, just adjust it. Depending on your setup, there should be 2 belts to the AC compressor. One that does go to the power steering and such and the other to the Alt. Many time, the belt to the alt loosens up and can make a hell of a racket.

To disconnect the AC, you might need to remove the Alt for a clear view, but there should be a connector with maybe brown/green wires going to it. Just disconnect that and the compressor won't kick on anymore.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Belt squeal is usually the belt is loose. The belts run from the Crank, Water pump, A/C compressor

Then the A/C compressor to the alternator.

The Power steering is from the crank to the P/s pulley.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

You're right Brian. sorry, been a while since I've had my head in the engine bay of an A1 :oops:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
jgold723

Post by jgold723 »

I don't actually know what is causing the squealing sound -- belt or compressor. Looking under the hood with the engine running, the sound seems to be coming from the compressor. The belt seems tight, but I'm not an automotive expert (although I can predict I may be on my path to one with this car). And the sound does seem to activate/deactivate roughly with the use of AC/defrost (I say roughly, because turning off either of them doesn't cause the sound to stop immediately.

John
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, when you have the a/c on, open the hood and spray the belt with 409, if the squeal goes away it's the belt and you need to tighten it up.

To tighten that belt you will need a 8mm Allen wrench, and a Cheater to get the back two Allens on the a/c compressor, and then there are the 2 13mm bolts in the front.

Removing the Alternator helps too.

How to Tighten that Squeaky Water Pump Belt.

Open the hood of your car.

You will see the alternator. We need to remove it.

Remove the Positive battery connection and put on some gloves (keep the hands nice for the ladies).

There are 2 bolts that you have to remove, the 13mm adjuster and the 6mm hex

On the back of the alternator there is the 13 mm cable nut, 8mm nut that holds the blue wire,
and a 8mm nut that holds the battery cable and the ground for the a/c compressor that has to be removed.

I also get the bracket loose to move it out of my way

Then take a pry bar and a hammer and smack alternator to the right side of the car, that loosens the binder and allows the alternator to be remove a bit easier.

Remove the belt off the pulley.

A quick wiggle and it is out.

Remove the power steering pump res, 2 8mm bolts move it out of the way.

You will see there are 2 8mm hex bolts, and 2 13mm nuts that hold the a/c compressor you will need to loosen them a tad.

I use a pry bar that is bent between the a/c bracket and the compressor, and push to the back of the car.... Then tighten one of the 13mm nuts in the front, at the same time, This will allow the now tightened belt to be held while you re-tighten the remaining bolts.

Now replace the alternator and you can enjoy squeal free driving.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
jgold723

Post by jgold723 »

Wow -- you are amazing -- not only in the detail of your reply and documentation, but that is the cleanest engine I've ever seen.

I'll take a look at the compressor belt this weekend.

Thanks again!

John
Black93CAB
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by Black93CAB »

Now will this also help the heavy strain that using the A/C puts on the engine too? because i am having the same problem with the squealing AC, but my issue is when ever i turn my ac on, it squeals weather im at an idle or at 4000 RPM on the freeway. and i also feel a tremendous strain put on the engine. Thanks for the help as always!! :thumbup:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Black93CAB wrote:Now will this also help the heavy strain that using the A/C puts on the engine too? because i am having the same problem with the squealing AC, but my issue is when ever i turn my ac on, it squeals weather im at an idle or at 4000 RPM on the freeway. and i also feel a tremendous strain put on the engine. Thanks for the help as always!! :thumbup:

Yes that will help to eliminate the squeal.

For the Strain there isn't much I can assist you there on, as that is normal. If you think it is bad on your cabby, try it on a 1.5 diesel Rabbit. :)

Now if you can find a older mk1 rabbit or cabby, they had the barrel bolt tensioner that you screw down and it tightens the belt (you sill have to loosen all the pivots first.)

I have changed both of my cabbies over to this type or adjuster instead of that geared one.
Briano

Steve E J
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by Steve E J »

I was getting some squealing, then I noticed the large bolt on the bottom of the alternator was missing. Fixed now.

for the strain problem on your a/c, you could drop the top and drive it around. :lol:
Black93CAB
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by Black93CAB »

In the past few weeks of posting this i have put off tearing my alternator out and tightening up the A/C belt. I have kept the windows down as much as possible, but yesterday i noticed that when i turned on my A/C the normal annoying squeal came out but i also saw my battery light glow bright red and my volt meter dropped down to 10. When i turned my A/C off the volts jumped back up and battery light turned off. I called my mechanic and explained to him what happened and he said one of my pulleys are getting ready to seize up and i should take it in. Sound about right Briano? How hard is it to replace the A/C pulley if so, and do you think this is something i should do my self? Thanks in advance as always!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Black93CAB wrote:In the past few weeks of posting this i have put off tearing my alternator out and tightening up the A/C belt. I have kept the windows down as much as possible, but yesterday i noticed that when i turned on my A/C the normal annoying squeal came out but i also saw my battery light glow bright red and my volt meter dropped down to 10. When i turned my A/C off the volts jumped back up and battery light turned off. I called my mechanic and explained to him what happened and he said one of my pulleys are getting ready to seize up and i should take it in. Sound about right Briano? How hard is it to replace the A/C pulley if so, and do you think this is something i should do my self? Thanks in advance as always!

Your Mechanic is half fast.

The squealing belt says that the ac/water pump belt is loose.
When you turn on the a/c the squealing gets worse, but because the belt isn't driving the a/c pulley fast enough, then you are also not driving your alternator, as the alternator is driven off the a/c compressor.

I would imagine that if you tighten your a/c belt, or possibly needs replacing now, that your alternator when re-adjusted (you have to remove it to get to the a/c) you will resolve both issues, I would replace the alternator belt at the same time as the a/c. water pump, crank belt.

See:
http://www.mk1vw.info/modules.php?name= ... tut&id=100
Briano