Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

How I flush a radiator

Post by Briano1234 »

This is one of the best things that you can do for your car.

Flushing out the old and renewing is a good thing.

First lets get the old out and flush the thing.

Take off the Thermostat housing. (on power steering equipped cars you have to remove the power steering bracket/mount)
Remove the 5 13mm Bolts that hold the Power Steering Bracket to the Power Steering Pump, and Block

Bracket removed so you can see the 5 bolt holes.

Remove the lower hose at the t-housing. (first douching.)

Remove the 2 10mm bolts use a 10mm 6pt socket be gentle (a cordless impact works great.). Spray with
CRC Freeze-Off, and let it work, then Spray it on again and lightly tap the socket on the heads of the bolts.

Pry the t-stat out. (Second douching).

Clean the bolts and coat with never-seize

Replace the cover of the t-stat housing with the old o-ring (leave t-stat out). Tighten the bolts (DO NOT HONK).

Replace the lower hose on the cover of the t-stat-housing and tighten.

Loosen the upper radiator hose and fill the system from the top with water and 1 cup of CLR. Re tighten the hose

Fill the res jug to the middle mark.

Turn the heater on Full HOT.

Start the car, and let it run (You want the car to circulate the water /flush for about 10 minutes.....

Allow to cool, then Take the lower hose off and allow to drain (This will be ugly and acidic take precautions and avoid the water out of the eyes and skin flush with water if you get it on you.).

Now replace the hose and re-tighten.

Take off the upper hose and refill with water, this time with 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Re tighten the hose.

Fill the jug

Start the car and allow to circulate for 10 minutes (watch for leaks.).

Allow to cool.

Remove the lower hose and drain.......

Re tighten the hose.

Now using a garden hose and pressure, force the nozzle on the upper hose Into the radiator opening.
Allow the water to "bubble" out the head flange assembly. Run till clear...

Reverse the hose and run it to the block so that it will "bubble" out the radiator upper connection.

Reverse and do it again till clear....

Drain the system by removing the lower hose and t-stat cover.

Replace all your hoses.

But wait theres more.......

Remove your two heater core hoses at the heater-valve and the hard line.

Now run water with the hose in the upper hose, and allow it to drain out the bottom till clear,
then place the hose in the bottom and allow it to come out the top till clear, do this a couple of times.

Reconnect the hoses.

Drill a 1/8 or 1/16 inch hole in the lip of the replacement thermostat.

Insert it then the "new" o-ring with the cover, use only a 10mm 6pt 1/4 in drive socket and DO NOT HONK, snug it up, it only takes 17 inch pounds of torque..

Now fill your radiator with 50/50 blend through the upper radiator hose,
(and it is cheaper to buy full strength and cut it your self than buying the pre-mixed crapola.)
till it "trickles out the radiator, then reconnect the hose, and tighten it, then fill the res......
Start your car and check for leaks.

Should be good to go for a few years.

Notice I say to flush the system with your old hoses, as the
CLR may deteriorate the hoses a tad, so do that to your old ones.
Be sure to include the hose that comes off the drivers side of the head to the hard line.

I haven't had any issues with CLR and Hoses, but I do replace all the hoses about every 5 years, after I
have owned the car as on Day 1 I replace them all.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: