Fuel sporadically cuts out, battery died, wont restart

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jerseyjon
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Fuel sporadically cuts out, battery died, wont restart

Post by jerseyjon »

So i have a real puzzler here. I was driving down the highway the other day and it seemed to be that the fuel just cut out for maybe 20 seconds and then kicked back in. I got off the first exit I could after it did this 2-3 times more and as soon as I pulled up at the first red light the engine cut out. I restarted it and got maybe 10 meters till I could find a place to pull over when it cut out and wouldn't restart- luckily in a dunkin donuts parking lot. I attempted to restart it, but it was like the battery was dead. first thought: the alternator went bad. So I had it towed home and got a replacement alternator put in and the battery charged back up. I attempted to start it and of course it didn't. it seems to be that it's not getting fuel, but I hear the fuel pump humming. i pulled the plugs and it is getting good spark and they smell of gas. any advice would be appreciated greatly.
cheers!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Fuel sporadically cuts out, battery died, wont restart

Post by Briano1234 »

Ya have maybe 3 issues that I can think of.

Bad grounds from the Battery to the Frame and from the frame to the engine.

If you hear your fuel pumps is it more of a whine? Then you are looking at a broken fuel hose on the in-tank pump or a bad intank pump.

Since you say it cuts out, and can't restart then I would look at the Fuel Pump Relay, and or the ignition switch.
Fuel Pump Relays are notorious for getting cold solder joints from over heating and then opening the circuit. Some times when they cool, then they will remake the connection and sometimes they won't.

I would also suggest that you verify the timing Statically.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jerseyjon
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Fuel sporadically cuts out, battery died, wont restart

Post by jerseyjon »

thanks briano for the reply.
It may be the in-tank fuel pump being that a few months ago grounded everything out really really well. I also replaced the fuel pump relay maybe like 9 months ago..I'll pull that out and give it a quick test. and by the way, when I say it wont start I mean that when I turn the ignition it will run for maybe 2-3 seconds (if that) before cutting out.