Throwout Bearing & CV Joint Replacement? questions-

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabrioletme
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Throwout Bearing & CV Joint Replacement? questions-

Post by cabrioletme »

I just picked up my first cabriolet which came with a decent to-do list. One higher on the list is to replace what I think is a bad throw out bearing?

The engine will make a constant growling sound at idle, and the sound goes away when the clutch is pushed in, would this be the the problem causer?

ALSO- I'm needing to replace a CV joint, the drivers side one is pretty noisey; would it be a good idea to do these at the same time right? And will it be alright to replace just the one CV joint or should i opt to replace both at the same time?

& What's a good manual to pick up for a decent price, i'm sure i'll need one for these two operations. Thanks-

1988 VW Cabby 5spd 1.8
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Throwout Bearing & CV Joint Replacement? questions-

Post by Briano1234 »

I just picked up my first cabriolet which came with a decent to-do list. One higher on the list is to replace what I think is a bad throw out bearing?

Congratulations......... (thread needs Pics).

Yes it could be but see below.

The engine will make a constant growling sound at idle, and the sound goes away when the clutch is pushed in, would this be the the problem causer?

The pressure plate or clutch disk is high on my suspect list for your two above posts, as if the disk is slipping or the pressure plate weak, the noise it makes can be different. If you don't know how many miles the clutch has, it would be better to do all 3 than one at a time.....as you only would need to drop the tranny once to effect all 3 repairs.

Take Proper Safety Plans, use Jack Stands and have the jack in position for the "just in case".

ALSO- I'm needing to replace a CV joint, the drivers side one is pretty noisey; would it be a good idea to do these at the same time right? And will it be alright to replace just the one CV joint or should i opt to replace both at the same time?

You can do one at a time, just 2 words of advice, get the proper 8mm triple Square driver at germanautoparts.com and buy new shafts. I had to replace the one re-man shaft 3 times, two with crappy remans, and the 3rd with new. One of the reman's destroyed my differential when it broke, and I had to change that out.... SO BE WARNED and if the box says CARDONE, be afraid be very afraid.. I haven't had any luck with their re-manned parts at all. I am talking 4 master cylinders and 2 axle shafts....

Besides the shafts new from Germanautoparts.com with shipping are less than the price of a reman with core, and all the headaches that the pea-poor rebuilt will cost you down the road, or not down the road in the rebuilt case.

Clean the head of each bolt using a pick and Brake Cleaner.. Then insert the tool and tap it in fully with a hammer then apply torque, Failure to tap it home will strip the head of the bolt. Then you will need to use a small vice grip and a hammer to get it out.

When removing the axle shaft you have to remove the axle nut, these are held in with 175 ft/lbs of torque. What I do, is to loosen the nut with the car on the ground and in gear with the parking brake on. ORRRR

Jack the car, remove the tire, then reinsert all 4 bolts in the rotor and tighten them.
Using a Hunky Straight Slot Screw driver wedge it in the center vent of the rotor, and jam it against the beefy part of the caliper.

Now my second word of advice, only remove the ball joint bolt, and pry the ball joint out of the strut assembly, this will preserve the alignment.

What's a good manual to pick up for a decent price, i'm sure i'll need one for these two operations. Thanks-

MMMM The BENTLEY. I have all 3 popular ones, the Bentley, Haynes, and Chiltons, but the Bentley is the go to book. I have used it so much I have broken the binding, and darkened the edges of the pages. I know that I should be using cotton gloves or a new pair of latex gloves when leafing through it, (after all it is the bible of car repair), but like my bible, I read it when ever and where ever, and I don't care about the exterior.

my Bible is held together by duct tape too, as I have broken the binding on it....

Read the how to's section as there are my threads there that show how I remove a automatic tranny... and the tapping the 8mm ts home is there with pics. I can usually do a clutch in about 3 hours, but if this is your first plan on a whole weekend.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
cabrioletme
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Throwout Bearing & CV Joint Replacement? questions-

Post by cabrioletme »

Thanks a lot briano- very informative post. Might be msging you some when I actually get to doing such work, sounds like you know your way around these quite well.