Drivetrain noise

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

IslandBoy71
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Drivetrain noise

Post by IslandBoy71 »

My 90 cabby recently developed a growling type noise when I go over 35 mph. I think its the tranny. Its a 5 spd. I noticed a leak on the front seal and i think its leaking gear oil. I plan on changing all the seals when i replace the clutch. I just hope that my tansmission is okay. Has anyone out there ever have the same symptoms?
--Be Good or Be Good At It--
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Re: Drivetrain noise

Post by eric4321 »

I have heard of these trannys making noise when they get low on oil. If you are going to wait on replacing the seals you need to check and fill the oil asap or you will damage the trans.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
IslandBoy71
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by IslandBoy71 »

How much do I add? I think the tranny holds 2 quarts and what would happen if I over fill? Is there like a relief valve that would release any excess gear oil?
--Be Good or Be Good At It--
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

IslandBoy71 wrote:How much do I add? I think the tranny holds 2 quarts and what would happen if I over fill? Is there like a relief valve that would release any excess gear oil?
It would be best to drain it, replace the seal and refill, as if it is low on oil, then it can burn out 5th gear.

If the car is in neutral and you hear the growl, make sure it isn't a piece of tin that is vibrating. But Definitely change the oil.

There are pressure relief caps or vents, but when you over fill you chance blowing out a seal or three. It takes 1.97 pts.

So don't use the whole 2 quarts.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

On a 1990, you just fill until excess oil comes out the fill plug on the end of the transmission. Pull the fill plug before you pull the drain plug -- that way you won't drain it and then discover you can't put more oil in. ;) Mine came out pretty easily, though.

Drive the car to warm up the trans before you drain the oil, and warm up the bottles of oil in a water bath, or it will take forever. The gear oil in these transmissions has the consistency of honey when it's cold. It also smells terrible. Wear gloves if you don't want your hands to smell like it for the next three days.

The fill hole is on the side of the trans, so getting the oil in requires some cleverness. I use a length of hose with a funnel plugged in the end, threading it in through the wheel well.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force