Timing Belt

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

rb0095
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Timing Belt

Post by rb0095 »

I am getting ready to change my timing belt on my car. When doing a search I didn't see anything that would be able to help me. I was wondering if anyone could give me a link to some information on how to do this properly. Or someone could explain how to do this, that would work as well.

Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Timing Belt

Post by Briano1234 »

Well. that is a deep subject.
Things you have to change or should change as you are getting all the crap out of your way.
Passengerside motor mount
Waterpump
Check your seals.

Now
remove alternator
remove the ac belt
remove the ps belt
remove the water pump pulley
remove the crank pulleys
remove the upper and lower timing covers
now here is a neat trick and I haven't tried it.
Loosen the belt adjuster.
Cut the old timing belt in half the length of the belt and toss the half that is nearest the motor mount.
Slide the new one on and when it is half on all the pulleys you cut the other half off.
Then slide the remainder of the new belt back on.
Replace the tensioner, and tighten the new belt to less than 90 degree twist at mid point between the intermediate pulley
and the cam.

Otherwise, set the engine to 0time to remove the old belt and put the new one on and verify time, then tighten and verify time again.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

recently I have noticed that my camshaft timing may be off. By removing the top timing belt cover I have access to the timing belt tensioner, but I don't have access to the other two gears that are running off/driving the timing belt (because of the lower cover), I know one gear is the crankshaft, but I don't know what the other is. What I want to know is, what is that other gear?

Also, I can get the trimming correct on the crank using the flywheel, and can also line up the distributer using the mark that is there, and then I can line up the camshaft using it's mark. I am wondering if access to the lower gears is needed to adjust the camshaft timing, or is there some reason that I need to be able to make sure the other gears are correctly lined up as well?

thanks
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

As far as I know on the early Rabbits I don't think you can adjust the cam timing by removing just the top cover. It would be wise to change the belt and tensoner if your timing is off. I have had belts stretch on Jap engines and throw timing off. You can check the timing by removing the top cover, though. The other shaft I think they call it an intermediate shaft. It drives the dizzy and oil pump. I lined that one up by lining up the rotor to the dist base.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

eric4321 wrote:As far as I know on the early Rabbits I don't think you can adjust the cam timing by removing just the top cover. It would be wise to change the belt and tensoner if your timing is off. I have had belts stretch on Jap engines and throw timing off. You can check the timing by removing the top cover, though. The other shaft I think they call it an intermediate shaft. It drives the dizzy and oil pump. I lined that one up by lining up the rotor to the dist base.

I've already changed the timing belt, I changed it a few months ago...based on what you are saying the intermediate shaft drives the distributer and oil pump, so as longs as the distributer is timed properly than the intermediate gear/shaft is timed properly?
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

just double checked the cam timing, looks like it is dead on. seems like last time I checked it was off...maybe just taking my time and doing it right is what I should have done last time, then I would already know the cam timing is fine.

Thanks again for all the help.