Speedometer Cable Gear - HELP!!

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

rb0095
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Speedometer Cable Gear - HELP!!

Post by rb0095 »

So today I decided to take my two peice speedometer cable off, and replace it with a one peice speedomter cable. Didn't seem to hard, not too complicated.

The gear that goes into the transmission (that turns the speedometer cable) came off with the old cable, I figured this was no problem, just snap it onto the new cable then put it back into the hole.

When trying to get it back in I hear a "pop", at first I though this ment I got it in...then I checked the speedometer cable, it pulled right out, and the white plasic gear was no longer attached to it. I then looked into the hole, the gear was not in place, instead it had fallen down into the trasmission.

I have tried, and tried to get it out....but can't even see it anymore. Any Ideas?

Also...once I do get it out, if anyone knows a good way to get it back in properly that information would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Speedometer Cable Gear - HELP!!

Post by Calimus »

Been there, done that. :banghead:

I over filled the trans with fluid to float the gear back up to where I could grab it with a grabber tool. Then drained the fluid back out and filled back to proper level. Worked in my case, you might get just as lucky.

Also, the reason this happened, is that on your old speedo cable, where the gear was, you should find a small clip, it needs to be moved to the new cable if my memory is right. Once that is done, you will find the gear will snap over the clip and it won't come off as easy.

Hope this helps.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

ok, sounds like an idea. What does the small clip look like?

Is it that small circle thing that fits in a groove towards the end of the cable?
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

ok, I just tryed what you suggested...still nothing, I still can't even see it. :banghead:

Question(s): If the speedometer gear is left in the transmission, could it cause damage?

Or would it more likely just get broken up by the gears? (then I could change gear lube to get what's left of it out and just get a new speedometer gear)

Or might it be able to drain out with the gear lube?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

rb0095 wrote:ok, I just tryed what you suggested...still nothing, I still can't even see it. :banghead:

Question(s): If the speedometer gear is left in the transmission, could it cause damage?

Or would it more likely just get broken up by the gears? (then I could change gear lube to get what's left of it out and just get a new speedometer gear)

Or might it be able to drain out with the gear lube?
I have heard of folks, leaving it be, as the gear is plastic and grinds well. But then again.......The person to ask is Brian at www.brokevw.com
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Broke (Trans Guru), ironically, answered this very question over on Vortex a few weeks ago:
Broke wrote:I would try harder to get it out.
They are plastic and get chewed up, but then the pieces can cause the problems.

The most common is being stuck in or out of reverse gear. The big chunk of the speedo will settle to the bottom of the case and get lodged on one side or the other of the reverse idler, preventing it from sliding.

Here are some pics of a trans currently on the bench, this trans has eaten a speedo gear, and I grabbed pics of where I found the plastic inside.

A chunk sitting on 4th gear. That chunk is stuck there because it was jammed in place by the sliding sync sleeve when 4th was selected. Had it been a little larger, it may have prevented 4th from being selected, or could cause difficulty getting back out of 4th gear...

It only takes one piece of debris in the right place to stop a bearing roller from rolling. Once the roller skids, slips, or slides, it causes a small flat spot on the roller where it will be more prone to skid, slip or slide in the future, causing an ever worsening flat spot on the roller. Rollers that don't roll get hot and can cause the bearing to fail. A failed bearing can easily kill a trans, because unlike the speedo gear plastic, if one of those hardened rollers gets between the ring and pinion gears, the gears die.

A chunk just to the right of the input shaft roller bearing....

More plastic got caught between the sync hub and sleeve, if it gets jammed into one of the 3 keys of the sync hub, it can prevent the gear from engaging fully or can cause it to want to pop out of gear.... not to mention that the shift forks will be under more stress to force the sleeve over the plastic, along with the selector and shift linkage...

Obviously this trans had another failure besides the speedo gear, but you can see more of the orange plastic littered around in the 5th housing and TO bearing...

The best bet is to sit and fish with one of those flexible grabber tools pictured above. The trans depends on proper lubrication for the bearings and gears to last, and plastic debris in the oil isn't good on it.
There is a chance the gear will get somewhere and sit and not cause any troubles, but it is more likely to get chewed up once inside, and then the pieces are free to go anywhere.

There is a snap ring that holds the gear onto the cable, it is very cheap and should be replaced with the gear to ensure the gear snaps on fully and won't slip off...

You should see the clip through the hole in the side of the gear...

:beer:
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

ok...thanks for the information. Unfortunatly, this car is my daily driver, and yesterday was my day off. Today I have to go to work, and still am unable to get the speedometer gear out....hopefully I don't have any problems due to the simple mistake I made in not seeing the clip on the old speedometer cable.

I guess maybe I should go by this saying: "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"