EGR light is on

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

devanio
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

EGR light is on

Post by devanio »

So I am just becoming familiar with all of this... so please excuse my possibly "stupid" questions. The EGR light is on in my vehicle and I am not sure what/where that is and how to correct it. Anything is helpful!

Devan :D
*Devanio*
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: EGR light is on

Post by kamzcab86 »

No such thing as a stupid question... unless you're a reporter. :wink:

As for this EGR light, I'm on the confused side because the OEM clusters don't have EGR lights that I'm aware of; so a question first: What year is your Cabriolet?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:No such thing as a stupid question... unless you're a reporter. :wink:

As for this EGR light, I'm on the confused side because the OEM clusters don't have EGR lights that I'm aware of; so a question first: What year is your Cabriolet?

I think it is hte ox light, and that is a reset of the white button on the ox box which is where the speedometer cable comes up from the tranny and has the cable coming out to the firewall to the left of the brake booster. There is a white button on it, so just press harder.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

For an '80, does the cluster say "EGR" or "OXS"?

EGR is different from OXS. One is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, the other is OXygen Sensor, hence my confusion. :wink: All 1980-1987 Cabriolets have an OXS counter box; all 1981-1987 Cabriolets have an OXS idiot light in the instrument cluster. If it is the OXS light that is on, http://cabby-info.com/gauges.htm explains why it's on and (in addition to Brian's post) how to reset it.
devanio

Post by devanio »

The light says EGR in the vehicle. It seems to run fine I just dont want to end up with any problems down the road for not addressing it now. I will have to take the information you all have provided and see if it fixes this.

Thanks!
*Devanio*
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I spose someone could of replaced the cluster and hence the confusion of the oxs/egr. If you have the ox counter box, reset it if the EGR light goes out, then you know the cluster was swapped at one point.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

kamzcab86 wrote:For an '80, does the cluster say "EGR" or "OXS"?

EGR is different from OXS. One is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, the other is OXygen Sensor, hence my confusion. :wink: All 1980-1987 Cabriolets have an OXS counter box; all 1981-1987 Cabriolets have an OXS idiot light in the instrument cluster. If it is the OXS light that is on, http://cabby-info.com/gauges.htm explains why it's on and (in addition to Brian's post) how to reset it.
Slight correction Kami,

I believe that the OXS light is on all 1981 to 1987 US Cabriolets. I've never seen on a Canadian model. My '87 never had one.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

CalAltaDubber wrote: Slight correction Kammy,

I believe that the OXS light is on all 1981 to 1987 US Cabriolets. I've never seen on a Canadian model. My '87 never had one.
D'oh, yes, you're quite right; the Euro Cabs didn't have them either. I suppose VW thought that only Americans were too stupid to get regular OXS replacements... the reality is, most Americans simply turn the light out and replace the OXS when they think it's necessary. :roll: :lol: VW must've realized this by 1988, the year the OXS idiot light magically disappeared.
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

I did some further investigating, finally, and confirmed the following: The 1980 Cabriolets (USA) do not have oxygen sensors, but do have an EGR system. Instead of an OXS warning light, the 1980's have an EGR light (Canadian cars have the warning light, but it's deactivated). The EGR system uses the same counter box as the oxygen sensor system's box. Beginning with the 1981 model year, the EGR system was eliminated, replaced by the oxygen sensor/evap emission systems. :beer:
devanio

Post by devanio »

Hello again.. a bit of delay from me... I pushed the white button previously mentioned and well the EGR light went out and hasnt come back on sooo for now I will leave it at that I guess. Unless there is other suggestion on this? I did see there is an EGR light and an OXS light.. just to share :D
*Devanio*