Coolant leaking, what is this part?!

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

skittishsynapses
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Coolant leaking, what is this part?!

Post by skittishsynapses »

So I took my car to be serviced, got the brake proportioning valve replaced along with the master cylinder (turns out that had gone bad), and my rear brakes. The mechanics pointed out that I was low on coolant in the reservoir, and they added some. A bit odd since I had just added coolant sunday. But the funny thing is there wasn't anything in the reservoir! I was going to take a 30 mile drive so I thought I'd check before I ran off. Good thing I did!

So while working on the car, they point out that there's a leak coming from a plastic attachment on the right hand side of the engine. I looked it up and the hose that it connects to is to the heater core. But what the hose connects to against the engine (bolts against it) is leaking. There is a teardrop rust trail (not seen in the below photos since my camera phone is terrible for these things!). They pointed out the fair amount of fluid the car had lost while they were working on it.

They said thermostat housing, but I don't think that's right since the thermostat itself is attached to the radiator. Anyone know what that part is? Thank ya! I have to take the car in Friday so I'd like it if someone took a guess!
Attachments
0519001325b.jpg
0519001325b.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
0519001325a.jpg
0519001325a.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Coolant leaking, what is this part?!

Post by Briano1234 »

That is the water outlet flange they go bad. Get thee to a dealer and get a new one. Or order it online.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswag ... ling/117/1
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

skittishsynapses wrote: They said thermostat housing...
Wow. They don't know Volkswagens, do they?
skittishsynapses wrote:...but I don't think that's right since the thermostat itself is attached to the radiator.
In a roundabout way. The t-stat resides in the thermostat housing, which is attached to the water pump; the t-stat housing is then connected to the radiator via a hose. :beer:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:
skittishsynapses wrote: They said thermostat housing...
Wow. They don't know Volkswagens, do they?
skittishsynapses wrote:...but I don't think that's right since the thermostat itself is attached to the radiator.
In a roundabout way. The t-stat resides in the thermostat housing, which is attached to the water pump; the t-stat housing is then connected to the radiator via a hose. :beer:
Ya know I wish the t-stat housing was located there.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

On my V4 Saab it's right on top, on the intake manifold...looks like a great spot until you realize the carb bowl overlaps it just enough to keep you from getting it off. Turns what should be a ten minute job into an hour.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force