O2 light on, not sore sure why.

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

skittishsynapses
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

O2 light on, not sore sure why.

Post by skittishsynapses »

So I just posted something about my brakes in the suspension forum, and of course, something new came up with my car. I was driving home and the 02 sensor light went on. The car's acceleration has been slightly off but I didn't think anything of it. I replaced the o2 sensor last year (thank you topless forums!) and had the Cat changed out last month because it failed emissions. Now, the roomie mentioned Cats and o2 sensors are generally replaced together. Could it be replacing the cat somehow messed up my sensor?

unrelated note, the plastic hose to the vacuum reservoir broke sometime recently...no clue when..I can just pick that up at autozone?

Any ideas on what's causing that light to go red? Thanks everyone!
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Re: O2 light on, not sore sure why.

Post by eric4321 »

The o2 light will come on at preset milage intervals. If you follow the speedo/odo cable from the trans up it should lead to a small box. The box should have a reset button on it. Press that and the light should go out.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
skittishsynapses

I'm currently at 116k miles.. well sans that my odometer decided to stop working for a few weeks and recently started working again. What are the intervals the o2 sensor light comes up at?
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Well I checked www.cabby-info.com and they say the interval is 30,000 miles. Now one other thing. I am fairly sure your car will only have one o2 sensor and it is before the cat. The only thing changing your cat will do is change your tail pipe emissions.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

The reason catalytic converters and O2 sensors are usually replaced together is a common reason for a failed cat is an overly rich mixture caused by a bad O2 sensor. Replacing the O2 sensor at the same time is cheap insurance against melting down the new cat.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
skittishsynapses

hum, wasn't told that when I replaced my cat. Tried to reset my o2 sensor and the light is still on. The replacement gap between the two is about...10 months. So gull, your vote is for a new o2 sensor then?

I went over the previous owner's smog tests and the cat is slowly gotten worse and worse. When I got the car she failed smog, replaced transmission at the word of mechanic which sure helped but wasn't the cause of the failed smog test (figured that out in retrospect but that's okay, she didn't shift into 2nd anyway!). When she failed smog again this year, the cat was replaced. Last year I had the spark plugs, distributor cap, and a few other things replaced along with the o2 sensor.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

The O2 sensor light doesn't tell you anything about whether the O2 sensor is working. It works entirely off the odometer.

It's difficult to conclusively test an O2 sensor. You can determine if it's entirely dead, but that's about it. If you're suspicious it's best to just replace it.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
skittishsynapses

also worth noting is my odometer went nuts a month ago and stopped counting for about 300-500 miles. It then went back to normal (at least the miles worked, the kilometers rolled nonstop). Then 4 days ago, it decided to read at 250k miles (up from 118k). It now reads 300k+. I'm guessing that has something to do with my o2 sensor not working, seeing as I got the red light about a month and some ago. I just had never put two and two together until now.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

skittishsynapses wrote:also worth noting is my odometer went nuts a month ago and stopped counting for about 300-500 miles. It then went back to normal (at least the miles worked, the kilometers rolled nonstop). Then 4 days ago, it decided to read at 250k miles (up from 118k). It now reads 300k+. I'm guessing that has something to do with my o2 sensor not working, seeing as I got the red light about a month and some ago. I just had never put two and two together until now.
No that is a sign that the odometer gear is probably broken. It is the little gear inside the speedo, and it is probably cracked a little drop of super glue can "fix" it if it is slipping on the shaft.

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

skittishsynapses wrote:Tried to reset my o2 sensor and the light is still on.
You may not have pressed the reset button in far enough.

To test the oxygen sensor (and more): http://cabby-info.com/cis.htm#Sensor . Before taking a CIS car in for emissions testing, you should always get the car up to operating temp and check the duty cycle (air-fuel mixture); adjust it if need be. Also, check the timing.