Shift Linkage Question

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

rb0095
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Shift Linkage Question

Post by rb0095 »

I've got a 4 speed transmission in my Rabbit Convertible, and it doesn't shift too well.

Reverse is good, 1st and 2nd are hard to get into, and 3rd and 4th are good. I have noticed that one of the shift linkages has been cut and welded, so I'm guessing it's the wrong length. Unfortunately I am low on cash, so I've been just dealing with it...but it's starting to get annoying. I have a 5 speed parts car (that I eventually plan on doing a transmission swap with), I wouldn't think the linkage would be the same, but I'm not sure. I hope someone here can help me answer this question...

Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Shift Linkage Question

Post by Briano1234 »

nope the 4spd and 5spd are different as lizard and chicken eggs.

On Ebay you can find the kits for less than 20 including the links.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

Thanks,

I'll look into that.
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

rb0095 wrote:Thanks,

I'll look into that.
Looking at Ebay the linkage in my car is definitely wrong. I didn't think you could get the parts at that price...guess I should check ebay and other places more offten when I'm looking for parts.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

If 3 and 4 work, but 1 and 2 are difficult, you probably need to adjust the clamp on the shift rod, down by the steering rack. Loosening the clamp and rotating it relative to the rod will move the pattern from side to side, sliding it back and forth on the rod will move the pattern fore and aft. Mark the current position before you start rotating it, so you know where you started. It's a very sensitive adjustment. I found it helpful to have a friend move the shifter while I watched the linkage, so I could visualize how it was supposed to work.

Some of the aftermarket linkages have adjustable link rods that make this much easier, but all the kits I've seen are for 5-speeds.

Often the plastic ball-and-socket joints become worn and add a lot of slop, causing shifting problems. This is more of a problem on 5-speeds because of their tighter shift gate, but if the 4-speed linkage gets worn enough you can run out of shifter travel before you get into gear.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

Thanks for all the help so far.

Recently moved to a different area to try to find better work. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to take my Rabbit with me :( , so it will be a little while before I have to worry about this problem :| . Fortunately in the area I am now in I have a friend that can help me do the transmission swap once I get my Rabbit here :D. With the help here I will be able to make sure it shifts properly after the swap.

Thank you.
rb0095

Post by rb0095 »

I finally have my car back! My uncle who is a mechanic helped me out with getting the correct linkage for the car...then a funny thing happened. We couldn't get the 4 speed linkage to line up properly. Eventually we put back in a 5 speed part that was already in the car, then a 5 speed link to replace the linkage that was cut and welded...still had some trouble at first, we figured that something else was incorrect. Then we got things to line up.

So now my car is a 4 speed car, with 5 speed shift linkage. I'm guessing that now that we know how to adjust it properly we could get the 4 speed linkage to work, but for now I'm just going to leave it and enjoy being able to easily shift into 1st and 2nd gear, as well as all the other gears.

On a different subject, I am looking to get all my locks re-keyed because right now my key only unlocks the driver door (and starts the car). I used to know where to find a tutorial on how to remove the lock cylinder for the trunk, but can't find it. If anyone could help me find that, or could give a quick tutorial that would be great!

Also, if anyone knows if it is possible to re-key the glove box lock, and how to do it, that would be good too (I know how to remove the lock...but it looks to me like it can't be re-keyed).