Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

joshr65
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Stalling?

Post by joshr65 »

Hi All,

My vw started stalling when I push the clutch in. Restarts right away and drives fine. But as soon as I push in the clutch the idle drops and it stalls. Only other symptom I noticed is sometimes if I floor it it will start to stutter and then pick back up. Otherwise I can drive 75MPH all day and it is fine. This same thing happened about 3 weeks ago but went away. This time was worse.

Thanks in advance!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Stalling?

Post by Briano1234 »

What year of Cabby..?

As it sounds like a vacuum leak or a fuel flow issue. The year of cabby will be more helpful so as to narrow down the
items to check.

Look for Vacuum leaks on the vac hoses, injector seals, throttlebody tube to mention a few.
Check the idle adjuster screw on the back side of the throttle body for a broken o-ring. You can replace the o-ring and wrap
the threads of the screw with 2 wraps of Teflon tape.

I will save the other things for after you reply back with the eyar of the cabby.
joshr65
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by joshr65 »

Oooops. Sorry about that. It is a 1985.
ShyCabbyGirl
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

I just purchased a 1987 Cabby today from my brother in law and am having quite a similar problem. My Cabby will do it out of the blue driving down the road when I'm trying to get it up to speed. The little light flashes red a few times in the lower right hand corner of the dash, and if I completely let off the gas it will usually pick back up and go. If not, then I have to turn the key all the way off and start it again. It would be great if we could get our Cabby's fixed :) Also. I'm assuming that the OXS spot on the dash with the light means oxygen sensor right? and the "bars" guage is the oil pressure? Another thing! Is it normal that the headlights turn off when the key is turned off, even though the switch is on? I know nothing about these things! Help! Thanks!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I just purchased a 1987 Cabby today from my brother in law and am having quite a similar problem.

Welcome to Cabbyhood, but the pic police is going to ask for a picture of the car.....
A great site to peruse is:
www.cabby-info.com

My Cabby will do it out of the blue driving down the road when I'm trying to get it up to speed. The little light flashes red a few times in the lower right hand corner of the dash, and if I completely let off the gas it will usually pick back up and go. If not, then I have to turn the key all the way off and start it again.

Which light is that you are referring to?
I'm assuming that the OXS spot on the dash with the light means oxygen sensor right?
Yes/

and the "bars" guage is the oil pressure?
Yes.

Is it normal that the headlights turn off when the key is turned off, even though the switch is on? I know nothing about these things! Help! Thanks!

Yes, that is normal and the number one reason that when you go shopping and come back out your car won't start.... you see when you turn the Key off the relay for the head lights goes out, but the parking lights stay on... there is no buzzer to warn you.... so just be aware of it and carry a set of jumper cables in your spare tire area.. :)

See: www.cabby-info.com and www.mk1vw.info for all the information that you care not to know. Oh, and buy a Bentley Repair manual for your car from Bentley Publishing, Ebay, or Amazon. That is going to be the first thing that you will need....

But Just know that after you get all the bugs worked out, and the maintenance items fixed, your car will be a daily driver that you can rely on.

ps....
POST A PIC IN A NEW THREAD before the PIC POLICE stop your posting.... :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

I'm not sure what light it is... I just know it flashes red, and it's in the bottom right had corner underneath the tac, down at the bottom
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

ShyCabbyGirl wrote:I'm not sure what light it is... I just know it flashes red, and it's in the bottom right had corner underneath the tac, down at the bottom
That is the alternator light, the flashing red means that it isn't charging the battery, and that the battery is discharging.

You need to investigate that Clean your battery grounds, clean the power cables fromt he alternator to the starter to the battery.

If you boost the RPM does it go out?

It could also be a loose a/c belt or a loose alternator belt
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

Briano1234 wrote:
ShyCabbyGirl wrote:
If you boost the RPM does it go out?
What do you mean by boost the RPM? If I let off the gas completely the light quits and it starts right back up, but if I keep on it, then the light flashes, and the car stalls.
The Volt meter says that it's charging at around 12 Volts.

What about the other guage next to the bar, and volt guage, it has celcius on it. What is that for?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The voltmeter @12V DC is not average, the good alternators are at 13.5 to 14VDC.
If you let off the gas, the light goes out? and if you Give it gas it STALLS and stays lit?
When you are seeing 12V are the headlights on or off? and if you turn them on where does the volts go to?

Snap a cell phone pic of the light.....

As it sounds as if your a/c to water pump belt is slipping under load, or that your alternator is..
that is not normal.

Bump the rev means if you give it a bit of gas.

The bar gauge is for Oil Pressure,
the temp gauge is Oil Temperature.
Briano

ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

If I could find a picture of the dash then I could show you the general area in which it flashes red.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

ShyCabbyGirl wrote:If I could find a picture of the dash then I could show you the general area in which it flashes red.

Your wish is my command; ALMOST

Briano

ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

Where the fuel gauge is, mine has a temperature gauge next to it slightly to the left. Under the temp gauge, it has a little red light kinda in the middle of it, that flashes red. I can't really tell what other one lights up, because it just is so quick. but it happens no matter if the lights are on or off... It just does it every once in a while.
ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

I'm retarded - I was trying to find a picture of my dash online... When I could have just went out and snapped a pic with my digi cam... Lol... Here it is.
IMAG0218.JPG
IMAG0218.JPG (463.81 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

ShyCabbyGirl wrote:My Cabby will do it out of the blue driving down the road when I'm trying to get it up to speed. The little light flashes red a few times in the lower right hand corner of the dash, and if I completely let off the gas it will usually pick back up and go. If not, then I have to turn the key all the way off and start it again.
The gauges are explained here: http://www.cabby-info.com/gauges.htm , including why the light is flashing. :wink:

As for the cutting out issue: fuel pumps could be dying, fuel pump relay could be dying, fuel filter could be clogged, ignition switch could be faulty, the alternator could be having issues (don't rely on the volt gauge in the car; test the voltage at the battery and alternator). Time to do some testing!
ShyCabbyGirl

Post by ShyCabbyGirl »

Thank you. That website is really helpful. But the car doesn't really cut out... When the light flashes, it just dies... Lol.