85 Cabby back on Road

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

joshr65
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

85 Cabby back on Road

Post by joshr65 »

After sitting for 6 9 months waiting for $$$ to do clutch. 2 probs I have had since before I put it up for 9 months. Starts on first key turn in the morning. Don't touch the gas pedal.
Rest of day I usually have to put pedal to floor to start it. With no pedal, it just cranks and cranks and will eventually flood.

2nd issue. I always get putt, putts on down shifting. Not backfiring but putt, putt, potato potato sound (for you harley guys) Otherwise runs like a champ.

One mechanic told me it is my aftermarket (but oem replacement) mufffler.

Any thoughts?

Thx!

Josh
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: 85 Cabby back on Road

Post by gull »

I get the same noise when I shift. It's like a little chuckle or cough. I think it's because I have an aftermarket exhaust that is missing the resonator that the stock exhaust had. If you have any exhaust leaks the noise will get much more pronounced. Combustion tends to be incomplete when the engine coasts down with the throttle closed, so you're actually hearing a little bit of hot, unburned fuel combusting in the exhaust system. Leaks allow this hot, unburned fuel to find more oxygen and burn more energetically.

Your flooding problem sounds like leaky injectors, a leaky cold start valve, or a faulty thermo-time switch in the cold start circuit.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

joshr65 wrote:After sitting for 6 9 months waiting for $$$ to do clutch. 2 probs I have had since before I put it up for 9 months. Starts on first key turn in the morning. Don't touch the gas pedal.
Rest of day I usually have to put pedal to floor to start it. With no pedal, it just cranks and cranks and will eventually flood.

2nd issue. I always get putt, putts on down shifting. Not backfiring but putt, putt, potato potato sound (for you harley guys) Otherwise runs like a champ.

One mechanic told me it is my aftermarket (but oem replacement) mufffler.

Any thoughts?

Thx!

Josh
When I was running my 90, I had it a tad retarded, and I got that kind of chortle. My 67 mg would do that all the time in a tunnel late at night it was ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Just tell people it's your anti-lag system. ;)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

I love the blip blips on down shifts and engine breaking. I live on a nice long stretch of road that allows me to casually slow down. So I lightly break and use some engine breaking with throttle blips between shifts to get the revs up for the next gear before I put in. I do it every gear on my way down from 5th to 1st. Its an awesome sound. :D :D :D

As for the starting problems. Gull has it pretty well covered.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
joshr65
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by joshr65 »

Thanks all! Will check those things out!
x-cube

Post by x-cube »

Gull and Brian, in reading gull's reply I must asked, I too started up my baby and the motor runs nice, smooth but the gasket for exhaust manifold, i knew needed to be changed, it is louder now than 10 months ago, even when you press the gas. But i wonder is that where the smoke is coming from. Doesnt smell like oil dripping on manifold but smoke is coming from the right side close to the fire wall.

My only guess is the manifold, is there any liquid that can leak on that side to cause smoke?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

x-cube wrote:Gull and Brian, in reading gull's reply I must asked, I too started up my baby and the motor runs nice, smooth but the gasket for exhaust manifold, i knew needed to be changed, it is louder now than 10 months ago, even when you press the gas. But i wonder is that where the smoke is coming from. Doesnt smell like oil dripping on manifold but smoke is coming from the right side close to the fire wall.

My only guess is the manifold, is there any liquid that can leak on that side to cause smoke?

Well, lets talk honesty here.. The exhaust manifolds on the cabbies are the worst piece of engineering that I have ever seen.
They all tend to crack. The only ones I have seen not crack are the Turbo, Diesel, and g60 ones. But I have had 4 cabbies, and all 4 were cracked. You will see exhaust from the crack more so when it is cold than when it is hot. I have also seen where manifold bolts break and the leak is at the gasket.

It is cheaper for you to replace it with a pacesetter header.

Now for oil leaking yes oil tends to leak out of the valve cover gasket if you have tightened the nuts too tight, that is the fact, and the straight truth. www.germanautoparts.com sells a upgraded gasket that is one piece with studs so you can remove your old gasket and studs and use a new one that isn't prone to leak and is considered re-useable.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: